• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carpeted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpeted

For the first time in 15 years I've been pulled in for what would probably be called a disciplinary, if I were permie.

Been at this client for 6 weeks. It's a very, very agile environment. Everything I get given is in bite sized chunks with layers of administrative crap wrapped around it & everything I do seems to be scrutinised by a much broader range of people than places I've been before.

They don't have an issue with my code. It's more the way I fit into a team; no. 1 gripe is the amount I say at the morning stand up. True, I try to keep it as brief as possible because I got up at 5am & I don't enjoy talking guff in front of 20 people at the best of times, especially not when I feel like I'm under a microscope.

Then there's what they call general team work - I don't tackle problems together with other team members enough for their liking; even the fact that I don't make coffee for the team was flagged as an issue.

Seriously, I've never had any problems like this before but I've never worked anywhere so obsessed with team dynamics. Seems like you can't just pickup a piece of work & get on with it - they're not happy unless they see you interacting with someone or sitting down for a bit of pair programming.

So, this negative performance review, or whatever you want to call it, is this an "agile" way of bringing you round to their way of working or is it, err, the writing on the wall?

My own view? I just feel that my face doesn't fit. They're mainly young guys, recent grads, who are keen and hungry for it. I'm towards the other end of my career & while I can play the game I just can't fake the enthusiasm for something I find so dull, even if the rate is good; That said, I get the job done so I don't get what their issue is.

Personally I would apologize and make token efforts to try to fit in. Keep invoicing. And look round.

If the new grads are doing IT they must be really stupid. The future for IT is offshore.

Comment

We are in service profession. Sometimes you gotta go that extra mile to make and maintain an impression. If you can't then leave gracefully so they can get on with what they do and you go do what you do. If you are set in your ways you Just have to find a client you like.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        We are in service profession. Sometimes you gotta go that extra mile to make and maintain an impression. If you can't then leave gracefully so they can get on with what they do and you go do what you do. If you are set in your ways you Just have to find a client you like.
        I've always gone the extra mile. I've done stupid hours to get a project out the door and such like. Just never come across anything this extreme wrt to the team thing.

Also one or two of the criticisms were unjustified & I set the record straight on them. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
        Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 30 July 2015, 21:51.

Comment

Sounds like a poor match. Happens to the best of us from time to time.

It will either settle down or plot an exit strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            The future for IT is offshore.
            The present for IT is offshore. The future is software as a service.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
              For the first time in 15 years I've been pulled in for what would probably be called a disciplinary, if I were permie.

Been at this client for 6 weeks. It's a very, very agile environment. Everything I get given is in bite sized chunks with layers of administrative crap wrapped around it & everything I do seems to be scrutinised by a much broader range of people than places I've been before.

They don't have an issue with my code. It's more the way I fit into a team; no. 1 gripe is the amount I say at the morning stand up. True, I try to keep it as brief as possible because I got up at 5am & I don't enjoy talking guff in front of 20 people at the best of times, especially not when I feel like I'm under a microscope.

Then there's what they call general team work - I don't tackle problems together with other team members enough for their liking; even the fact that I don't make coffee for the team was flagged as an issue.

Seriously, I've never had any problems like this before but I've never worked anywhere so obsessed with team dynamics. Seems like you can't just pickup a piece of work & get on with it - they're not happy unless they see you interacting with someone or sitting down for a bit of pair programming.

So, this negative performance review, or whatever you want to call it, is this an "agile" way of bringing you round to their way of working or is it, err, the writing on the wall?

My own view? I just feel that my face doesn't fit. They're mainly young guys, recent grads, who are keen and hungry for it. I'm towards the other end of my career & while I can play the game I just can't fake the enthusiasm for something I find so dull, even if the rate is good; That said, I get the job done so I don't get what their issue is.
              For the coffee issue, offer the team a round from local cafe every now and then. I bring in chocolates, doughnuts and likes once a month, and they seem to like it. Everything else then gets ignored

Comment

Would you tell your plumber to smile and make a cup of tea for you while he fixes your bog?

Bit of a joke, but as suggested, if you want the money, you gotta do the monkey dance.

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Some people's "set in their ways" is other people's "don't want to take any more tulip".

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post

Sounds like just an awful environment. However there is no excuse for not getting the teas in though.

Comment

Working...
                    X