• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carpeted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this happened to me I'd just walk back to me desk and ignore it. And wait for the boot.

May not happen tho - at Cap Gem they had us standing up and doing that crap, how do you feel today Stek on a scale of 1-5 5 being the lowest. Did it once cos I didn't get what it was all about and never bothered after. No one said owt.

Baled out in the end, only time ever, cos it was a 100% non-job. (SC, Gov, loads of people, nowt to do)

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
      I'm just not one of those people who bounds over to other people's desks and does the whole "hey guys..." routine.
      Ah, try a new approach...

Originally posted by browntractor View Post
      When I inevitably rise and take over a team, the net effect is always positive. That is because I lead by example, and people respect that. I am not a Yes man, and I always deliver. Every client I've had, has invited me back. In fact, my last client was in "chopping contractors" mode recently and they still invited me back - "always a place for a good consultant".

Comment

Pair programming is mandatory in lots of places now, and I think that's fine.

But from what you said in another thread:

I agree that there is a humiliating aspect to standups. In ours, the testers have too much clout and they routinely delight in telling the group that such and such doesn't work because so and so has f***d up.
        It sounds like they don't have a clue what they're doing (if you're coding and then the testers test afterwards (except some exploratory testing I suppose), then they're doing it wrong).

So you're probably right and they're just muppets.

Comment

I feel for you, gumbo. Sounds pretty horrific. I'd say throw the CV out there and see what comes up and in the meanwhile smile, nod and just keep working as normal.

When you head off to the next role, hopefully with a nice rise to boot, and they're fretting about finding someone new to take over the work... you can just smile inwardly. Being a good place to work is a two way street.

I'm a get in do my work, get out type of guy. So I have struggled with this in a few places.

I remember an interview where the bloke took me out for a beer with some of the team. I had one and stopped, they were fair knocking them back. They weren't interested in talking about anything technical or work related, they just wanted to 'get to know me'. Fair enough loads of people would love that but it was one of the reasons that I turned the offer down. Sorry not looking for drinking buddies and if that's how you pick people then it's just a big concern. No technical test? How do you know I'm any good? Disaster waiting to happen, too much risk.

I go out of my way to help anyone that needs it, I never throw anyone under the bus and I'm proud of the quality of work I deliver. Like you I'm just not the 'Hey guys' type of fellow and when I want a coffee I don't want to faff around for ten minutes making it into a team bonding exercise.

Fitting in is a two way street. Just because the loudest extroverts like things one way doesn't mean it's the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
            ... Like you I'm just not the 'Hey guys' type of fellow and when I want a coffee I don't want to faff around for ten minutes making it into a team bonding exercise.

Fitting in is a two way street. Just because the loudest extroverts like things one way doesn't mean it's the right way.
            Useful guide to living your life.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I'd just tell them that I was hired for my technical skills and ability, not my tea-making skills. If you don't like the way that I work, then feel free to terminate my contract. Assuming that you can walk into another role fairly easily of course!
              Or you've got enough warchest and you could take the summer off ...

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                I feel for you, gumbo. Sounds pretty horrific. I'd say throw the CV out there and see what comes up and in the meanwhile smile, nod and just keep working as normal.

When you head off to the next role, hopefully with a nice rise to boot, and they're fretting about finding someone new to take over the work... you can just smile inwardly. Being a good place to work is a two way street.

I'm a get in do my work, get out type of guy. So I have struggled with this in a few places.

I remember an interview where the bloke took me out for a beer with some of the team. I had one and stopped, they were fair knocking them back. They weren't interested in talking about anything technical or work related, they just wanted to 'get to know me'. Fair enough loads of people would love that but it was one of the reasons that I turned the offer down. Sorry not looking for drinking buddies and if that's how you pick people then it's just a big concern. No technical test? How do you know I'm any good? Disaster waiting to happen, too much risk.

I go out of my way to help anyone that needs it, I never throw anyone under the bus and I'm proud of the quality of work I deliver. Like you I'm just not the 'Hey guys' type of fellow and when I want a coffee I don't want to faff around for ten minutes making it into a team bonding exercise.

Good post! I agree totally.

Unfortunately, a rate rise isn't likely; this is the best rate I've been on. Ironic really since I'm not really actually delivering much product - just doing tons of administration and having my personality processed to comply with their corporate standards.

Ever see the film Brazil? That's it basically.

Comment

unsettling experience

Somewhat unsettling experience here in one of my prev gig where I lasted about 2 of 8 months. I have great respect for people who have different orientation (you know what I mean). But it was a bit unsettling - a gentle touch on the shoulder I would consider a show of appreciation - however a I 'd take a shoulder squeeze from a male colleague in other terms. I also once saw the client programme manager gifting a iPad mini to a consultant who sat next to me!
                  Regarding IT stuff:-
                  Daily stand-ups meant pleasing the client to no extra end with your 'status'. Agile meant delivering whatever crap the dev team has delivered whether the end user wants it or not.

I was happy leave within 2 months.

So, GUMBO- chill:-)! there are other people in a similar boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    Asking if anybody wants a tea when you go to the machine/kitchen is just good manners. But you're right, screw the teas.
                    I usually am more than happy to make the teas for everyone - every second away from my desk and those moronic faces I need to work with is gold!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      In some places, if you do a good job, chat a bit, help anyone who needs it, and be nice, then you do fit. Sounds like the OP is not in one of those places.
                      Some places just let you be as long as you are a reasonably valuable asset. Some places want you to be a valuable asset and love them to bits. Some places don't care what sort of asset you are, as long as you worship the same god and say the same prayers. You just never know.

Comment

Working...
                      X