• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carpeted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Regarding tea making, there's a cafe downstairs where you can get a good strong cup of coffee.

I go down there.

Everyone else makes their own instant stuff in the kitchen.

When I started, I used to ask if anyone wanted a coffee from downstairs, nobody ever did so I just kind of do my own thing on that front now.
    Don't see what the issue is.
    "Argh bloody contractor with his bloody footballer's salary, sticking his rich man's coffee right into our faces, while we must drink this cat piss we can only afford on our honorably earned money."

Comment

I hate places where there is a "who wants a coffee" brigade.

I'll get mine as and when I want it thank you very much.

As for the wider "carpeting", that sucks OP, I would have struggled to hide my rage being forced to have that conversation.

As others have said, get your CV out there, and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
        I feel for you, gumbo. Sounds pretty horrific. I'd say throw the CV out there and see what comes up and in the meanwhile smile, nod and just keep working as normal.

When you head off to the next role, hopefully with a nice rise to boot, and they're fretting about finding someone new to take over the work... you can just smile inwardly. Being a good place to work is a two way street.

I'm a get in do my work, get out type of guy. So I have struggled with this in a few places.

I remember an interview where the bloke took me out for a beer with some of the team. I had one and stopped, they were fair knocking them back. They weren't interested in talking about anything technical or work related, they just wanted to 'get to know me'. Fair enough loads of people would love that but it was one of the reasons that I turned the offer down. Sorry not looking for drinking buddies and if that's how you pick people then it's just a big concern. No technical test? How do you know I'm any good? Disaster waiting to happen, too much risk.

I go out of my way to help anyone that needs it, I never throw anyone under the bus and I'm proud of the quality of work I deliver. Like you I'm just not the 'Hey guys' type of fellow and when I want a coffee I don't want to faff around for ten minutes making it into a team bonding exercise.

Fitting in is a two way street. Just because the loudest extroverts like things one way doesn't mean it's the right way.
        To be honest, I prefer the gigs where they look at you as a person rather than a blob in the corner. If you're a contractor you've got to fit in. Within reason of course but no client wants a stroppy miserable git no matter how clever they are.

Current gig is cool like that I must admit.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          If this happened to me I'd just walk back to me desk and ignore it. And wait for the boot.
          This is what happened to me (only once in 10 years!). Programme Manager didn't like the truth - took them 2 weeks to trump up some "incompetency" accusations for the Agency to terminate me.
          Saw it coming and had already got a start at an old client for the following week.
          Took it personally when it happened but looking back...meh!
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            This is what happened to me (only once in 10 years!). Programme Manager didn't like the truth - took them 2 weeks to trump up some "incompetency" accusations for the Agency to terminate me.
            Saw it coming and had already got a start at an old client for the following week.
            Took it personally when it happened but looking back...meh!
            Yep. I've had similar. At the time I got a bit upset about it but then you realise - hang on I've been doing this for x years at x different places and you're the only ones to find fault with me. Then you realise its not you....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Sounds like the gig from hell... tbh I'd just flip them the bird and terminate. Life's too short to put up with ****.

As for Agile stand-ups and pair programming, that sort of stuff just makes me want to quit software engineering and grow sheep somewhere. I mean, who comes up with this stuff FFS - trouble is all the undergrads just lap it and think it's the best thing since sliced bread...
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Must confess I would probably go nowhere near anywhere claiming to be Agile if I can at all help it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                  Sounds like the gig from hell... tbh I'd just flip them the bird and terminate. Life's too short to put up with ****.

As for Agile stand-ups and pair programming, that sort of stuff just makes me want to quit software engineering and grow sheep somewhere. I mean, who comes up with this stuff FFS - trouble is all the undergrads just lap it and think it's the best thing since sliced bread...
                  This is part of the problem with Agile - too many people wanting to join the bandwagon. While I am sure there are many projects out there which could be considered a success, I have seen far too many not deliver within promised timescales under Agile. That and the fact that I agree with many of the points made in this blog post by Michael O. Church means that I'm yet to be convinced about Agile. However, in the defence of Scrum, I have never yet seen it implemented properly in organisations both large and small. Many places say they are "doing Agile/Scrum" but limit it to a daily stand up (or conference call) in order to batter people over the heads for what they are/aren't delivering.

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Must confess I would probably go nowhere near anywhere claiming to be Agile if I can at all help it.
                  I'd be limiting my options if I avoided anything that stated Agile... that is until the next silver bullet comes along.
                  Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 4 August 2015, 07:57.

Comment

Working...
                  X