• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client accidentally told me rate they pay - weird conversation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Some of the contractors on here are so righteous and so ******* naïve it beggers belief. Factoring is one of the biggest costs there is.
    If an agency takes the risk, it could be ages before they are paid. My company has pushed companies out to two months after invoice, and that's on an invoice after a month (so effectively three). The contractors with the agency I used bitched because a couple of days after they got invoice they hadn't been paid by the agent.
    Contractors here are all direct, and the agent just got a one off fee like they do with permies. They say they all get paid within a few days of invoicing; the company just treats them as the same as employees from the point of view of cash flow. So it can be done. Companies don't try not to pay their employees for three months (unless things are really going in the toilet) whilst still expecting them to turn up. I suspect the reason they do this with contractor's agents is: because they can.

It's a bit of a catch-22. Clients get used to the credit terms they get from agents and therefore contractors have to work through agents. And therefore clients have to use the agents as that's the only way to get contractors. Lose lose. Unless you're an agent.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Contractors here are all direct, and the agent just got a one off fee like they do with permies. They say they all get paid within a few days of invoicing; the company just treats them as the same as employees from the point of view of cash flow. So it can be done. Companies don't try not to pay their employees for three months (unless things are really going in the toilet) whilst still expecting them to turn up. I suspect the reason they do this with contractor's agents is: because they can.

It's a bit of a catch-22. Clients get used to the credit terms they get from agents and therefore contractors have to work through agents. And therefore clients have to use the agents as that's the only way to get contractors. Lose lose. Unless you're an agent.
      Most companies don't pay contractors direct. The hassle isn't worth it. Easier to pay one company. But if they have want to it, it's better for the contractor.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Most companies don't pay contractors direct.
        Plus, of those that do, most do not pay within a few days of invoicing. More like monthly invoicing with 30-90 day payment terms.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          If client said that to me they wouldn't have to wait for me to say it again....
          You talk so much crap.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WHS

Some of the contractors on here are so righteous and so ******* naïve it beggers belief. Factoring is one of the biggest costs there is.
            If an agency takes the risk, it could be ages before they are paid. My company has pushed companies out to two months after invoice, and that's on an invoice after a month (so effectively three). The contractors with the agency I used bitched because a couple of days after they got invoice they hadn't been paid by the agent.

One threatened to not come in. I told him not to waste my time as the hiring manager and if he says it again he'll be gone by the end of the day.
            Tosser.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My contract says I'm prohibited from discussing remuneration with anyone other than agency.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                My contract says I'm prohibited from discussing remuneration with anyone other than agency.
                Then you are an idiot.

If the clause is there, I get that clause removed completely or altered to state I can discuss it with relevant client staff.

Agencies who don't play games don't have a problem with it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Then you are an idiot.
                  You're so kind.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    So how much are you on

Comment

WHS

One threatened to not come in. I told him not to waste my time as the hiring manager and if he says it again he'll be gone by the end of the day.
                      Too right, MF. These are the same contractors who would not dream of questioning Starbucks, M&S, Tesco, Thomas Cook or any other supplier's margin.....go figure!

Comment

Working...
                      X