Client accidentally told me rate they pay - weird conversation.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 45

Ddraig Goch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Client accidentally told me rate they pay - weird conversation.

Not the first time this has happened in the past....

Anyway, client manager whos a decent fella sent me the confirmation to confirm my extension was sorted but it displayed the rate they pay not the one I get. So I found out the margin. Pleased it was pretty ok to be honest.

So I told the guy - look you probably shouldn't be showing me that one because it shows me your rate. He didn't realise I got less than this so I told him. Out of interest, he asked me what agency provided with this money - umm nothing apart from paying my invoices for me. He thought they provided sick/holiday pay out of this or something.

Hes gone off now muttering about agency getting hundreds of pounds a week for **** all. Oh dear....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

TripleIronDad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post

Anyway, client manager whos a decent fella sent me the confirmation to confirm my extension was sorted but it displayed the rate they pay not the one I get. So I found out the margin. Pleased it was pretty ok to be honest.

So I told the guy - look you probably shouldn't be showing me that one because it shows me your rate. He didn't realise I got less than this so I told him. Out of interest, he asked me what agency provided with this money - umm nothing apart from paying my invoices for me. He thought they provided sick/holiday pay out of this or something.

Hes gone off now muttering about agency getting hundreds of pounds a week for **** all. Oh dear....
    They found you the contract. They pay you before they get paid. They have the risk that they will not get paid. Some organizations believe that having an agency stops them being liable for having their contractors claim they are employees.

Have I just agreed with DA?

Banks always insist agencies take a set margin.
    I keep pushing forwards but they keep pushing me backwards. So I have new rules. 1. Don't feed the trolls you know they have no souls. 2. Don't respond to them they'll only post back back again. 3. Don't be their friend they'll only knife you in the back. I have new rules I count them.

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    They found you the contract. They pay you before they get paid. They have the risk that they will not get paid. Some organizations believe that having an agency stops them being liable for having their contractors claim they are employees.
    Not entirely. They pass the non-payment risk on to you with a clause in the contract saying you won't get paid if they don't.

Agencies getting paid ongoing for apparently doing little (ongoing) (once the contract is in place) is a bit of a thing. It's a different industry, but Foxtons the letting agents recently lost a case for charging landlords in a similar way, leading to a change in the law. However their contracts were consumer, or something, whereas ours are B2B.

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if your contract has a clause that says you can't do this for this exact reason?

Faqqed Off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by unixman View Post
    Not entirely. They pass the non-payment risk on to you with a clause in the contract saying you won't get paid if they don't.
    And that's one reason not to opt out.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Banned

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Out of interest what wa sthe percentage rate the agency were taking?

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So what's the story here? Your client manager is an utter moron? Anything else that stops this from being in general?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Am direct with current client, just started. Agency also pinged me about the same role, top rate they were offering was 50 quid a day less than I'm getting. I declined

Faqqed Off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Your client manager is an utter moron?
    I assumed that was a given
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I assumed that was a given
    That's harsh. PC might have nailed his interview...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast