• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm very strongly against people leaving contracts early, but you've stated the mitigating circumstances and instead of dropping the customer in it you've discussed it with him/her in a grown up manner.
    That's a massive difference to the so called contractors who will bin a contract with no notice just for a few quid a day.

Odds are they want the number of weeks as it will take them a bit of time to get someone in and they want to maintain some pace on the project, they clearly feel you're adding some value. As an interim step you might try pointing out that the out of country travel is a big part of the problem and you can stay a bit longer if that's cut back.

I would advise you to NOT even mention compensating the agency, if you agree a mutually acceptable date with the client you can justifiably tell the agent to bog off.

Comment

I have left contracts in the past due to family issues. I have always explained to the client and told them when I'm leaving. That has always been fine. If there is no moo then surely notice means nothing. As for the agency they have lost nothing. Alternatively if your bridges are burning anyway just flounce and be unavailable for work until your contract is terminated. Family is more important than any client or contract.

It all depends how critical it is you leave quickly. The client that I left before have invited me back several times so it's all a bit random anyhow.

Comment

+1 Agents really are a piece of work aren't they, any half compassionate human being would see the predicament you're in and accommodate you.

Comment

Do you have access to a legal helpline (e.g. as an IPSE member)? If so, it might be worth contacting them with the relevant notice/MOO clauses - if your contract is IR35 friendly, the chances are that there is a get out clause.

Comment

Did you know there was going to be overseas travel when you took the gig? Didn't your client know your wife was going to give birth while you were in the contract? What were you going to do about working overseas etc while your wife was giving birth and shortly after?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Do you have access to a legal helpline (e.g. as an IPSE member)? If so, it might be worth contacting them with the relevant notice/MOO clauses - if your contract is IR35 friendly, the chances are that there is a get out clause.
              Thanks for the suggestion. I used to be a member but am not currently. I was considering joining to take advantage of the legal helpline. Just on this issue alone it may pay for itself.

@Northernladuk: Yes the pregnancy was discussed, and the contract was set to finish a few weeks before, for this very reason. Overseas travel was also discussed, but it has ended up being slightly more than expected. The hours whilst in the UK are certainly much longer than expected, the earliest I am home most nights is 7.30-8, by which time my wife has had to do everything on her own.

Comment

When my wife was up the duff, was having difficulty and I was on a weekly commute contract, we agreed the most cost-effective way of dealing with the situation was to get a home help in. That might help mitigate you working out your notice.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  When my wife was up the duff, was having difficulty and I was on a weekly commute contract, we agreed the most cost-effective way of dealing with the situation was to get a home help in. That might help mitigate you working out your notice.
                  As long as wife is ok with this then fair enough.

But money doesnt buy a replacement wife/husband unfortunately so it doesnt always work out.....

I have same with wife being ill. Luckily I am home every night. We've got childcare in place, cleaner, family staying over but it still can be problematic at times....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

As others have said, good on you for trying to sort out with the client.
                    How much more travel is there than they first said then? We talking tons more? I think I'd be a bit unhappy about it if that was the case anyway. And I'd be pointing this out to client.

Stuff the agent - all they're thinking about is their lost margin and not you or the client. Tossers.

If you can sort it out amicably with the client then tell the agent to do one. Confident they won't ever chase you for a thing - they might get a bit annoyed but then seconds later when they realise you are really leaving they'll be trying to get someone else in there so they dont lose any margin.

BUT client seems to be a bit awkward as well. 5 weeks is a tad too much - being greedy I think but some places are like this. Culture of work first family second - which is the wrong way round of course. Most people are reasonable human beings but there are tossers around (like your agent and to a certain extent your client) who are not and are just thinking of themselves.

Ultimately though, if they still kick off and its going to cause your family problems, stuff the lot of them and walk.

One idea- would they let you take a few weeks off now to try and square a few things off then go back for 4 weeks? Gives them longer to get replacement then.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CenterPart View Post
                      The contract does not have a notice period on my side. I had an honest discussion with the head of the project today, and told him all of the above. He was reasonable, and said that he would really appreciate it if I could work a four week notice period. I emailed the agency to tell them what we agreed.

I got a reply from the project lead saying that he was in principle happy with this, provided they could get a replacement, and a sufficient handover, and five weeks notice, not four.
                      Get the client to serve notice to terminate in 4 / 5 weeks.

Then it's nothing to do with the agency - if the client don't want you, then that's the end of it.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X