• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End to end fixed contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End to end fixed contracts

I am currently on a 2 year fixed term contract with a government department. This contract consists of 8 months work in the first year (Jan to August) followed by a 4 month lay off period, whereby the next 8 month period begins again the following January. Staff in work are saying that I cannot claim unemployment benefit in the 4 month lay off period. Is this true? The contract is with the UK Civil Service btw. I dont want to claim benefits but needs must if necessary.

Originally posted by contractpaddy View Post
    I am currently on a 2 year fixed term contract with a government department. This contract consists of 8 months work in the first year (Jan to August) followed by a 4 month lay off period, whereby the next 8 month period begins again the following January. Staff in work are saying that I cannot claim unemployment benefit in the 4 month lay off period. Is this true? The contract is with the UK Civil Service btw. I dont want to claim benefits but needs must if necessary.

Why not get another gig in the 4 month lay off period?

Comment

Fixed term contracts are contracts of employment. Nothing to do with the type of contracts we do.

You are effectively employed for two years with a period of not being paid. I wouldn't imagine you can claim any benefits as are you are still contractually employed during the off period. You have all the rights of an employee so should be getting paid during this period as well. I don't think you are giving us the full picture here and the detail will be in the contract. It's the same contract all the way through, 4 months paid? yadda yadda.

Another thought. Instead of taking random snippets of crap advice from work colleagues and strangers on the internet why not enquire with someone in the benefits area?

A third thought.. These ******* things are an absolute disgrace. The idea then can just drop you for 4 months in the middle as well is utterly unbelievable and just beyond words. Get yourself sacked by kicking whoever wrote this in the ******* balls and then go get a decent contract. 4 months off in the middle without pay can't be legal surely? Drop this tulip and get a decent contract.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 10 June 2015, 09:33.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

P.S. As you are effectively employed you should be going to HR with questions like this.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You know you can speak to the people who handle JSA, go to the relevant website (direct.gov ) and ask a organisation/charity that deals with employment issues like Citizens Advice. (In other words do all 3)

I've learnt over the years never to take advice from permanent staff about employment rights and benefits unless they are a lawyer.

BTW There use to be something where you could claim money for being not given work and not paid from your employer from the government who would chase the employer, but with the changes in benefits I doubt it still exists.....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You say a TWO YEAR contract. Does that mean you have another 4 month period after August in year 2 where you aren't getting paid anymore, you can't claim JSA, you can't take another contract and you can't go back to the contract you're in?

I think that's clearly not right.

Comment

If it is a government department I would consider approaching your MP, especially if he is an opposition one.

Are you in a Union?

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                If it is a government department I would consider approaching your MP, especially if he is an opposition one.

Are you in a Union?
                Good question because he's certainly not a contractor.

OP - I would consider joining if you're not in one already.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

A third thought.. These ******* things are an absolute disgrace. The idea then can just drop you for 4 months in the middle as well is utterly unbelievable and just beyond words. Get yourself sacked by kicking whoever wrote this in the ******* balls and then go get a decent contract. 4 months off in the middle without pay can't be legal surely? Drop this tulip and get a decent contract.
                  Isn't that similar to a zero hours contract though? You're at the beck and call of your employer
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Isn't that similar to a zero hours contract though? You're at the beck and call of your employer
                    Nope.

Zero hours contracts vary which is the problem with lumping them together.

If you are a shop worker or warehouse staff the contracts usually stop you from working elsewhere and they can get away with due to your low skill level meaning you can easily be replaced.

If you are a teacher or nurse they know you are retired or have a full-time job elsewhere, as it's cheaper to use you and/or there is a skills shortage they are a lot more flexible. If you don't want to work they will still ring you again.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X