• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work or Interview (sorry can't think of an appropriate title)???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work or Interview (sorry can't think of an appropriate title)???

I attended an interview yesterday at a Consultancy initially I was told it would be a 1 stage F2F interview. At the Q&A part of my interview I asked for clarification about the interview process and when would they be hoping to making a decision?

I was told that they need 5 BA's (I'm thinking YAY) BUT this was all dependant on them winning a Bid, part of this bidding process, if they win, would be for all 5 BAs to participate in a group presentation at the Clients office, the Client would then decide YES/NO based on our individual presentations!

Am I wrong for requesting to be paid if I'm part of a bidding process?

Generally yes. You are business, you are out there selling yourself and getting yourself some work. Do any traders you take on charge you for coming round and giving quotes for potential business?

Your post is however confusing because you say 'if they win' and you don't mention what this presentation is on. Is it the clients bid or is it on why they should accept you? Are you saying that the client may turn down the consultancies bid based on the presentation of 5 random uncontracted contractors? That's ridiculous.

How long are you expected to spend on this?

More clarification required I'd say.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 June 2015, 13:01.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterP0 View Post
      I attended an interview yesterday at a Consultancy initially I was told it would be a 1 stage F2F interview. At the Q&A part of my interview I asked for clarification about the interview process and when would they be hoping to making a decision?

I was told that they need 5 BA's (I'm thinking YAY) BUT this was all dependant on them winning a Bid, part of this bidding process, if they win, would be for all 5 BAs to participate in a group presentation at the Clients office, the Client would then decide YES/NO based on our individual presentations!

From past experiance I'd say dont worry about just yet. Every gig I've been for where it has been dependent on the client winning a job has ended up going nowhere.

If and when they come back and say they actually want you to interview/present for the role then you can decide. Personally I;d trat it as an interview and not try and charge for it. It's about winning business and companies dont normally expect to charge for doing that.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

This happened to me last year. Agency called about a contract, I was a good fit for the role based on the job spec. Phone interview was set up with the 'client' but after I asked a few questions it became clear that they were a consultancy and were using my CV to bid to their client for a piece of work showing they had the experience on board.

The next stage was they wanted me to have an interview with their client but I told them they would need to pay me if they wanted me to continue to win business for them. That was the end of that.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Every gig I've been for where it has been dependent on the client winning a job has ended up going nowhere.
          Exactly that^
          Besides you have to add 3-6 months (or even more) waiting time as contract rewarding is never ever on time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Generally yes. You are business, you are out there selling yourself and getting yourself some work. Do any traders you take on charge you for coming round and giving quotes for potential business?
            Fair point.

Your post is however confusing because you say 'if they win' and you don't mention what this presentation is on. Is it the clients bid or is it on why they should accept you? Are you saying that the client may turn down the consultancies bid based on the presentation of 5 random uncontracted contractors? That's ridiculous.

His response to the WHAT was "it's all confidential at present". All he was willing to divulge was that it was for Public Sector and it's a digital transformation of some sort.

Is it the clients bid or is it on why they should accept you? Are you saying that the client may turn down the consultancies bid based on the presentation of 5 random uncontracted contractors? That's ridiculous.

Client Bid not dependant on our presentation.
            The way it was explained was that if they are successful then next stage for them would be to invite all 5 BAs to a presentation, where we would each be given a slot to present our individual presentations, but would only be told on the day what to present.
            He said we'd be given 10/15 minutes for prep.

(I hope that makes more sense than my OP?)

It is already sounding like way too much headspace/work for me, I think I will sit this one out!

Comment

The way it was explained was that if they are successful then next stage for them would be to invite all 5 BAs to a presentation, where we would each be given a slot to present our individual presentations, but would only be told on the day what to present.
              So they want you to attend another interview and make a presentation, if they know they have a vacancy. Sounds reasonable to me.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Do any traders you take on charge you for coming round and giving quotes for potential business?
                In Switzerland they do. Just sayin'
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The only alarm bell that is ringing is if you make the presentation and they win the contract, what guarantee do you have that they will offer you the contract?
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Fair point.

His response to the WHAT was "it's all confidential at present". All he was willing to divulge was that it was for Public Sector and it's a digital transformation of some sort.

Client Bid not dependant on our presentation.

(I hope that makes more sense than my OP?)

It is already sounding like way too much headspace/work for me, I think I will sit this one out!
                    So you are going to turn down a gig with set budget that's making money for the consultancy ie possibility of extensions, because you can't understand the process and think it's too much effort or too difficult for you? And you are supposed to be a BA? Very poor carry on IMO. Sounds like the consultancy got lucky here.

Being a good contractor is about your ability to deal with this type of stuff and nail it. The bit you do once you are in contract is the easy bit.

Move over and let someone capable get the gig.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 June 2015, 15:55.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X