• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capita CL1 government contract - should I take it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capita CL1 government contract - should I take it

I finished the previous contract on 31 March, and have been on bench since then. Last year I has 3 offers to choose from but this year still nothing.

The only contract I have managed to bag is with a government agency in wales and although there is a recruitment agency involved who are dealing with me, the client only deals with capita who then deal with the recruitment agency and who then deal with me.

I have never done a govt. contract before, but the amount if paperwork sent me was just too much, there was a BET document, HMRC due diligence checklist, disclosure scotland, certified copy of passport, and some other declarations to sign. Capita are due to raise a work order (don't know what that is) and then the agency will send me their contract.

I remember reading here that people generally avoid govt contracts due to the hassle involved and high risk of IR35.

I am not sure if there is a high risk of IR35, am I getting into something which will prove difficult later on?

I have found this link:
    How to handle Contingent Labour One contracts :: Contractor UK

The problem is, this is the only contract I have managed to find so far, not sure if I should go for it or not.

I just went through the same, crapita government body in Wales. Ir35 ect . The revised cl-1 is a lot better these days.

Comment

In fact this is my second government one in a row. Both have asked for contract reviews from qdos or similar. Then let it go. The place I am currently at essentially told everyone they were ir35 caught last year. Since most contractors have now left they seem to be a little more flexible.

But for me the rate was high enough that even if I do end up caught then it's still more than my last outside role. And it is 8 miles from my house rather than the 80 I was doing before.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
        In fact this is my second government one in a row. Both have asked for contract reviews from qdos or similar. Then let it go.
        So, it was the client who asked for a contract review from Qdos OR was it Capita who asked for it?

The place I am currently at essentially told everyone they were ir35 caught last year. Since most contractors have now left they seem to be a little more flexible.
        Sorry, I did not get this one - what is meant by being flexible? Is this regarding the working hours. I was told in the interview that I can start between 7 am and 11 am and then do an 8 hour day. So, by being flexible can help contractor in avoiding IR35?

But for me the rate was high enough that even if I do end up caught then it's still more than my last outside role. And it is 8 miles from my house rather than the 80 I was doing before.
        The rate is not very high, actually less then my previous contract. And I am in Buckinghamshire and this is in Wales.

Not sure what to do.

Comment

Depends, a bird in the hand and all that. I've taken a contract in the past (not public sector mind) that wasn't ideal just because there was not much around (think back to Olympics 2012, market was dead). Needs must and I did complete the contract but turned down the offered extension as I had by then found a more suitable position.

Comment

Yes, that's what is boils down to.

I did not negotiate the rate, not sure I should do this now. I am told that the 'work order' is being raised at the moment, not sure what that means. I was not much interested in this one as it was not closer to home (In fact, quite further away). I am in Buckinghamshire and this is in Wales - around 2:30 hrs by car.

Anyone knows if I will need to pay toll if I use M4/M5 to go to wales from Buckinghamshire?

Comment

Originally posted by new2c View Post
              Yes, that's what is boils down to.

I did not negotiate the rate, not sure I should do this now. I am told that the 'work order' is being raised at the moment, not sure what that means. I was not much interested in this one as it was not closer to home (In fact, quite further away). I am in Buckinghamshire and this is in Wales - around 2:30 hrs by car.

Anyone knows if I will need to pay toll if I use M4/M5 to go to wales from Buckinghamshire?
              Dude if you do take it then stay over in the week, you'll kill yourself driving that much on a daily basis!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                Dude if you do take it then stay over in the week, you'll kill yourself driving that much on a daily basis!

Yes, will try to find accommodation. But, will drive in the first week. It is 120 miles each way.
                Last edited by new2c; 14 May 2015, 15:45.

Comment

Just be aware they may ask you to fill in the BETs which have now been withdrawn. Someone started a post about it this week.
                  I'd think twice about a CL1 gig. In fact a lot more than twice but I am sure if I was getting a bit desperate I'd cave.
                  I like to think I have a good understanding of IR35 but I'd still be nervous about them. If you are considering it please get yourself past asking questions about flexibility etc. You should know better than that in a normal gig let alone one like this.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by new2c View Post
                    Yes, will try to find accommodation. But, will drive in the first week. It is 120 miles each way.
                    IMO that's a terrible mistake. The first few weeks is when you create an impression. Do it right and you can have them eating out you're hand for the rest of the gig. Get it wrong and at best you've probably lost any respect and flexibility you might be expecting.

Get yourself in a hotel the night before you start and turn up early, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Traffic jam on your first day, come in knackered and all creased up and it could end faster than it started.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X