• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capita CL1 government contract - should I take it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would avoid it if the rates are low mainly due to the crapita hassle. For me the rate was sufficiently high 50% more than other contracts in the area to be worth the risk.

Both my contract and working practises are outside ir35. That's about the best you can do, other than avoiding public sector work. But for me a contract that has the scope for 2 years worth of work, close to home, with a high rate makes is worth taking a punt.

Comment

Originally posted by new2c View Post
      So, it was the client who asked for a contract review from Qdos OR was it Capita who asked for it?

Sorry, I did not get this one - what is meant by being flexible? Is this regarding the working hours. I was told in the interview that I can start between 7 am and 11 am and then do an 8 hour day. So, by being flexible can help contractor in avoiding IR35?

The rate is not very high, actually less then my previous contract. And I am in Buckinghamshire and this is in Wales.

Not sure what to do.

Client asked for proof that I was outside. Working practises signed off by client and contact review submitted satisfied their internal processes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
        Client asked for proof that I was outside. Working practises signed off by client and contact review submitted satisfied their internal processes.
        This is the usual process.

Client departments don't have the time or understanding to make detailed decisions about this, they just want to cover their own backs.

The original CL1 based contracts direct with Capita were awful and hundreds of contractors across government refused to sign them. As a result they were revised with input from IPSE and should now be acceptable. Where you contract through another agency, who contracts with Capita under CL1 it's your contract with the agency and working practices you need to worry about, as with any contract.

A contract review that shows you as outside and agreed working practices are all thats needed. Provided your contract isn't awful it should not be a big deal to get it sorted.

Essentially it's an extra hoop to jump through for public sector contracts and not something you should be overly concerned with, IMO. Just get the review done and the working practices agreed and carry on. It's what you should be doing for all contracts anyway.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Really useful responses..Thank you All.

I can get the contract reviewed by Qdos or B&C.

But, how do I get the "working practices" reviewed or signed-off?

I guess, these have to be signed-off by the end client and not the agency I am dealing with? Is this correct?

Is there a document to be signed for "working practices", is there a template?

Comment

Working...
          X