• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor going permie, advice please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Had one client try it a couple of times. He arranged a permie style 1 to 1 meeting with me, to see how I was getting on, and then proceded to try and get me to see how unstable contracting was and would I go permie. Even used the fact my first child was due in a few months to persuade me.

A few months later, he contacted me on communicator just to see if I would consider permie again.

They were desperate though, and he asked other contractors too. He asked one contractor in the pub when we are all steaming, the contractor said yeah for £(typical permie wage at the client)+£20k

that ended the conversation very quickly.
    Ouch. Bringing in talk of family life into that conversation must have been weird.

I've had a couple of these conversations forced on me. Thankfully "I enjoy working for your company but I do enjoy contracting" or "it's a lot more fun this way" has fended off too much more probing.

The thing seemed to be that the client would be ready to get offended. How can you *not* want a permanent position in this wonderful company? That too in this economic climate?! (Same thing my Dad says actually when I boast to him about turning down permie offers)

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
      Ouch. Bringing in talk of family life into that conversation must have been weird.

I've had a couple of these conversations forced on me. Thankfully "I enjoy working for your company but I do enjoy contracting" or "it's a lot more fun this way" has fended off too much more probing.

The thing seemed to be that the client would be ready to get offended. How can you *not* want a permanent position in this wonderful company? That too in this economic climate?! (Same thing my Dad says actually when I boast to him about turning down permie offers)
      He was an akward character right enough.

Speaking of dad's, my folks had a fit when I quit my first permie job at a large global corporate, for a small 20 man software house. My old man worked for the same company for 55 years

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
        ...in this economic climate?!
        What does this even mean nowadays? When talking about job security, permies and contractors we're all in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
          What does this even mean nowadays? When talking about job security, permies and contractors we're all in the same boat.
          Hmm. Not sure. I've never felt as secure in my job as I do now, even when I was a permie in an IT consultancy in the boom times.

But do see what you are alluding to.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
            Yep, have been for a long time, just seen NLUK reply, I've never felt more secure than when contracting.
            Last edited by gables; 29 April 2015, 13:37. Reason: update

Comment

I was made redundant a couple of times when I was permie. The first time was for a massive US company, and it was handled pretty well - lots of notice, a very good package, help with CV prep, interview skills, job fairs, etc.
              The last time was with a very small company, 11 months after joining, and consisted of me going in one day and being told I may as well go home, but leave my laptop behind and that although they didn't owe me anything as it was only 11 months in they'd give me a weeks pay as goodwill.

With contracting at least I know each place I go is temporary, rather than it being a surprise. Each place I go I make some new friends, but I can't stay too long - I just turn around and I'm gone again. Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down, but until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                I was made redundant a couple of times when I was permie. The first time was for a massive US company, and it was handled pretty well - lots of notice, a very good package, help with CV prep, interview skills, job fairs, etc.
                The last time was with a very small company, 11 months after joining, and consisted of me going in one day and being told I may as well go home, but leave my laptop behind and that although they didn't owe me anything as it was only 11 months in they'd give me a weeks pay as goodwill.

With contracting at least I know each place I go is temporary, rather than it being a surprise. Each place I go I make some new friends, but I can't stay too long - I just turn around and I'm gone again. Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down, but until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You caught me...

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post

My best redundancy was place I was at for just over a year. I think the year matters lol.

Called in to mtg with director and HR. Told I'd had complaints about me from customers. They ran through a few which were bollacks to be honest. Ended up with them telling me sign agreement to leave with months pay or get suspended.

I was beginning to wonder I must admit. Turned out they did same to 5 other people that day.

Must have spent ages digging dirt on everyone. Wasnt that bad either - I'd done much worse lol.

In the end, took legal advice and they said you aint gonna get much more so dont bother. So I took the month.

Makes you realise though how little rights you have and how little payout you will get if employer wants you gone.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      My best redundancy was place I was at for just over a year. I think the year matters lol.

Called in to mtg with director and HR. Told I'd had complaints about me from customers. They ran through a few which were bollacks to be honest. Ended up with them telling me sign agreement to leave with months pay or get suspended.

I was beginning to wonder I must admit. Turned out they did same to 5 other people that day.

Must have spent ages digging dirt on everyone. Wasnt that bad either - I'd done much worse lol.

In the end, took legal advice and they said you aint gonna get much more so dont bother. So I took the month.

Makes you realise though how little rights you have and how little payout you will get if employer wants you gone.
                      How do you manage to turn a thread about redundancy into yet another sob story where everyone is wrong except for you. Unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                      X