• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor going permie, advice please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO you are looking at it completely wrong. You cannot base your career on one lucky 3 month contract. For a start rates vary from as low as £200 up to £600 per day for what I do. Which one do I use to base my calculation on? Forget anything you know about the contracting rate if you are going perm. Focus on the perm package.

Secondly a permie career shouldn't just be about the money. There are many other factors. What kind of business is it, locale, career opportunities yadda yadda. If you are not on the money you really want is there the opportunity to grow it. All of these may not be a factor in how much you ask for but will most definitely be a factor in your daily work once you get the gig.

I just don't think you can compare day rates to salaries. If you want to know what is a good salary to ask for after coming of a 42k gig with those benefits then I would have said 45-53k depending on benefits
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The dreaded "Wanna go perm talk". Had a few of these over the years.

How to not to sound like an ungrateful sod and upset the client when turning down they're "kind" offer of permanent employment for £30K.

Had one or two amazed that I'd rather stick with contracting and not have the stability of a perm job. I usually just drop in how many times I've been made redundant in the last 25 years.

Best not to tell them that you'd rather not take home 1/4 of what you do whilst in contract.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        I can imagine you do. A simple question that requires a decision and a reply. I can see how difficult it is for you.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

How to not to sound like an ungrateful sod and upset the client when turning down they're "kind" offer of permanent employment for £30K.

Had one or two amazed that I'd rather stick with contracting and not have the stability of a perm job. I usually just drop in how many times I've been made redundant in the last 25 years.

Best not to tell them that you'd rather not take home 1/4 of what you do whilst in contract.
          Had one client try it a couple of times. He arranged a permie style 1 to 1 meeting with me, to see how I was getting on, and then proceded to try and get me to see how unstable contracting was and would I go permie. Even used the fact my first child was due in a few months to persuade me.

A few months later, he contacted me on communicator just to see if I would consider permie again.

They were desperate though, and he asked other contractors too. He asked one contractor in the pub when we are all steaming, the contractor said yeah for £(typical permie wage at the client)+£20k

that ended the conversation very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            if you want to know what is a good salary to ask for after coming of a 42k gig with those benefits then i would have said 45-53k depending on benefits
            kuatb...

Originally posted by thefaqqer View Post
            £53k
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              KUATB...

False call sir!!

Typical political type. Takes a wild stab with no justification and then claims the honours when someone does it properly...

Oh yeah at FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                False call sir!!

Typical political type. Takes a wild stab with no justification and then claims the honours when someone does it properly...

Oh yeah at and FTFY
                FTFY

The forum software changed it to capitals.

My £53k figure came from starting at £42k and adding on the additional holiday, pension and perks that I would expect with that kind of move.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  FTFY

The forum software changed it to capitals.

My £53k figure came from starting at £42k and adding on the additional holiday, pension and perks that I would expect with that kind of move.
                  Bah....Ridiculous thread anyway..

Comment

Obvious answer is to judge this perm opportunity in comparison with your previous perm work. Whose sockie is this?

Comment

Go High man, ask for ridicules money your daily rate * 5 * 51 as you don't like holidays

Comment

Working...
                      X