• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best time to set up Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best time to set up Ltd company

Hi,

I am going to go contracting for the first time and wondered should i set up my Ltd company as close I can to the contract start date or if I do it a few weeks before does it matter for any particular reason I haven't thought about?

I know the sooner I do means I can get a vat number which would help with claiming that on my first invoice but any other benefits/issues?

Thanks

What about getting bank accounts opened ready to accept funds? Agencies won't just hand over money into any old account.

Comment

Get it done in advance, while you've still got plenty of time on your hands.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SeeYouNextTuesday View Post
        What about getting bank accounts opened ready to accept funds? Agencies won't just hand over money into any old account.
        I seem to remember that they'll do the first month into personal ?
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          I seem to remember that they'll do the first month into personal ?
          You might be right - but wasn't there a thread on here recently with a tale of woe about not being able to get paid gross and having to get paid PAYE?

Why bother with the hassle when you can put things in place at a relaxed pace?

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll go about putting everything in place asap. I think I was concerned that running a business without doing anything for a month may be less tax efficient or something so I should wait till the last moment.

Obviously not, must start reading more of the guides on here now.

Cheers
            Last edited by dkennedy1001; 25 April 2015, 09:59.

Comment

Originally posted by dkennedy1001 View Post
              Hi,

I am going to go contracting for the first time and wondered should i set up my Ltd company as close I can to the contract start date or if I do it a few weeks before does it matter for any particular reason I haven't thought about?

I know the sooner I do means I can get a vat number which would help with claiming that on my first invoice but any other benefits/issues?

Thanks
              Why do people think there's a best time to set up a limited? It just needs to exist in time to be put on the contract before its issued.

You can extend the accounting period once in the life of a limited so even if you set it up and dont start trading for 3 months, you can still change the year end so it cover 12 months of active trading.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Why do people think there's a best time to set up a limited?
                Because they have zero experience of contracting or limited companies maybe...

Comment

Main benefit is if you join a bank that takes weeks to open a business account then it should still be open in sufficient time to allow you to invoice an agency in a month.
                  Last edited by SueEllen; 25 April 2015, 18:25.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yeah the bank bit took weeks of chasing in my experience. Plus you need a registered company first, though that bit pretty much happens overnight.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X