• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents' reactions to QDOS contract review failures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents' reactions to QDOS contract review failures

Just had QDOS fail a contract.

Went back to the agent & he said something along the lines of "that's very unusual as we've had our contracts okayed by QDOS before".

I've heard this before from another agent when the contract failed.

The insinuation is that the different people who review contracts at QDOS are not necessarily "on the same page" so what would pass with one reviewer wouldn't necessarily pass with another.

Is there any truth in this?

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post

Went back to the agent & he said something along the lines of "that's very unusual as we've had our contracts okayed by QDOS before".

The insinuation is that the different people who review contracts at QDOS are not necessarily "on the same page" so what would pass with one reviewer wouldn't necessarily pass with another.

1. Did you believe the agent when he/she said that his/her contract was okayed by QDOS before?

2. Does't matter who at QDOS does the review as long as he/she can weed out the troublesome clauses and makes it look logical.

Comment

With something like law you're always going to get a difference of opinion, otherwise OJ Simpson would've been represented by the Legal Aid bloke.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        With something like law you're always going to get a difference of opinion, otherwise OJ Simpson would've been represented by the Legal Aid bloke.
        And not Kim Kardashian's dad.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

I've had the exact same contract passed by one of QDOS's reviewers and failed by another. Obviously I queried this, not least because I've been working for some significant time on the version that passed, and was told they're now beefing up their criteria for passing a contract in the light of updated opinions/guidance from HMRC. No way of knowing how true this is, but I'm going back to my client (actually a consultancy for whom I'm working as an associate) to see what we can do for the next piece of work I do for them.

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
            I've had the exact same contract passed by one of QDOS's reviewers and failed by another..
            What was the gap in time between these two reviews?
            I would be worried if they don't factor-in the recent HMRC nonsense in the review. They are meant to be the experts who know a thing or two about contracts inside IR35.

Obviously I queried this, not least because I've been working for some significant time on the version that passed, and was told they're now beefing up their criteria for passing a contract in the light of updated opinions/guidance from HMRC.
            That is reassuring. If they have updated their criteria, I will continue to use them for my next contract.

Comment

I'm going back to my client (actually a consultancy for whom I'm working as an associate) to see what we can do for the next piece of work I do for them.
              Use your own contract?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Use your own contract?
                They have a standard contract for associates which I'm hoping we can tailor. They understand the issues from an IR35 perspective so I'm optimistic.

Comment

Yes, this is absolutely possible, as there's a degree of subjectivity in determining status and pass/fail is a crude filter, particularly for a borderline case (which is more dependent upon the risk tolerance of an individual reviewer). Of course, it's also possible that one or both reviewers did a bad job, but the former is more likely.

Comment

There may be several factors, not all necessarily down to the reviewer. For example, I have recently completed a contract Of almost 2 years, where a well-known reviewer other than QDOS unfortunately found me probably inside IR35. My 2 colleagues were staggered at this; both had been found by the same reviewing company to be outside IR35.

My reviewer wanted to talk to my colleagues in order to find out where the difference lay, but we couldn't do that: obviously I wouldn't name my colleagues without their permission, and they understandably had no great enthusiasm for revisiting an "outside IR35" review.

But we speculated that the difference came from my/our responses that were not set in stone. For example, "does the client have permanent staff who could perform the same tasks?" I automatically answered yes to that: it is not conceivable that a huge vendor does not have my skills in-house. Maybe not enough good people with them, hence they need contractors; but IMO that is not what was asked. However my colleagues may well have answered no to that, reasonably in their minds since if the client really had their skills on tap, they wouldn't have needed the contractors.

Comment

Working...
                    X