• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On the bench!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Some points on the "benefit culture"

When the council bought the house 50 60 or perhaps 70 years ago it cost them a few hundred pounds, so it might be worth 2 million now but the council isn't paying a mortgage on a 2 million pound property.

So maybe they should sell the house for 2 mio now, and buy an handful of others for 100k each? I understand those might be in less desirable locations, but 1. Beggars cannot be choosers; 2. A roof over your head is better than no roof. Basic property management IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mrv View Post
      So maybe they should sell the house for 2 mio now, and buy an handful of others for 100k each? I understand those might be in less desirable locations, but 1. Beggars cannot be choosers; 2. A roof over your head is better than no roof. Basic property management IMO.
      ...because the government forces the councils to sell council houses at a huge discount.

i.e. they can't just sell council houses at whatever price they want.

Think "Thatcher" ....

In other words this house is not worth 2 million to the council, it's worth 150 grand (or whatever). This is the problem with the Daily Mail, it mixes up facts which individually are true without painting the complete picture. The council isn't totally stupid it will try and make money where it can.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 April 2015, 13:13.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        Exactly, whose milking the system, PC by claiming JSA which he's no doubt paid for 10 times over in CT every year or cases like this.
        who's

Is there an option for "both" or "neither"?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X