• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period and Holiday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    Try to get an answer from the client, speak with whoever signs your timesheets and see if they are happy for you to be on a holiday 2 weeks out of the 2 weeks notice. If they are get it in writing and tell the agency to shove it. Then keep a copy of the signed timesheets in case the agency tries to withhold payment on their side.
    Why do they need to be happy?

Client informed not available due to holiday weeks ago. Better still they agreed.

Notice served as per contract. No related. Just happens to correspond.

What would happen if you served notice over bank holiday or xmas? Would they expect you to tag on three days because of this?

But deffo keep timesheets....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Usual client behaviour. They get rid of people when it suits them but they obviously have need of the OP to go to Spain for the next few weeks and are put out hes now not available. Throwing toys out of the cot becuase its not gone all their way.
      I'd argue this. It happens yes but it's far from usual behaviour. I'd say a case like this is a pretty isolated event.

Getting rid of people when it suits them is why the take on flexible resource as well btw. It's what we do.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To the OP. I'd have chat with Safe Collections who post on here regularly. I'd say you are not gonna get your last pay at this rate so better get your rights sorted. If the agent or client sees that you are clued up they are less likely to try withhold the last payment. If you look like a push over then they'll try it on.

Be prepared to state your case as early as possible i.e. what your rights to payment is, what interest you intend to pay on late payment and when you will start to charge interest, probably quoting the late payment of commercial debts legislation linked below. This should put the willies up them and avoid a long drawn out battle..

https://www.gov.uk/late-commercial-p...ommercial-debt

Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998

Comment

[pyschocandy+Unix]Call in sick[/psychocandy+Unix]

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I'd argue this. It happens yes but it's far from usual behaviour. I'd say a case like this is a pretty isolated event.

Getting rid of people when it suits them is why the take on flexible resource as well btw. It's what we do.
            I agree but I always find it strange that if client gives notice thats all well and good but if contractor gives notice correctly, as OP has done it seems, the client may not be happy. Even though its in the contract.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I agree but I always find it strange that if client gives notice thats all well and good but if contractor gives notice correctly, as OP has done it seems, the client may not be happy. Even though its in the contract.
              You are forgetting that when a client gives notice the contractor isn't happy. It appears to be a pretty balanced situation.

Client gives notice and is happy --> Contractor wazzed off
              Contractor gives notice and is happy --> Client wazzed off

Don't think you can apportion blame or acting unfairly really. It's the same both ways.

You also have to appreciate this is a client/supplier relationship. If the supplier gives notice it puts the client in a more disadvantaged situation as he doesn't get his requirements filled.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                [pyschocandy+Unix]Call in sick[/psychocandy+Unix]
                Originally posted by Unicandy
                Call in sick
                ^ That's the way to do it.

Comment

Why do they need to be happy?

Client informed not available due to holiday weeks ago. Better still they agreed.

Notice served as per contract. No related. Just happens to correspond.

What would happen if you served notice over bank holiday or xmas? Would they expect you to tag on three days because of this?

But deffo keep timesheets....
                  You kinda answered to you own question at the end. Keeping the client happy is part of any B2B relationship. Also asking the client will identify if the legal action threat is coming from them or the Agent (most likely the later).

If the client is not happy with you being on a holiday for 2 weeks out of 4 weeks notice, they can just not sign the timesheets for the other 2 weeks (and rightfully so, as according to the OP he is not doing any work). Then all the sudden instead of missing 2 weeks invoicing you end up missing 4

Not to mention that leaving an unhappy customer behind will reflect bad on your references.

Comment

Usual client behaviour. They get rid of people when it suits them but they obviously have need of the OP to go to Spain for the next few weeks and are put out hes now not available. Throwing toys out of the cot becuase its not gone all their way.

OP- this spain thing. Is this in contract though? Or did they ask afterwards and you agreed? If current client asked me to spend half the time away in spain, I know what I'd tell them.
                    They asked me after I joined,I'm supposed to set up a team here, as they got rid of the team ,I'm now being asked to train the team in spain

Comment

Thanks everyone, update on my situation, client sent me a list of tasks to complete before I go nothing related to what I do,I'm tempted to paste them all in here but to avoid issues later,here are some
                      * Refine the process and remove manual steps in deployments ,how to migrate to amazon aws, integrate sonarQuebe into builds , before pullrequests ,look into CI and document best practices of CI

I'm a Test Automation QA with 13 years of experience.

I'm now trying to delay the start of my new gig and still trying to figure what the client actually seeing me as (Dev ops/ Developer not sure which one)

Comment

Working...
                      X