• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Notice Period and Holiday"

Collapse

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by CChann View Post
    Not really, as a I contractor I always book the time I'm not available in my diary and let the client know, in this case my Manager left the company so I started reporting to his boss who has no idea I have a holiday booked

Whoosh indeed...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Wooooooosh.......

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Not really, as a I contractor I always book the time I'm not available in my diary and let the client know, in this case my Manager left the company so I started reporting to his boss who has no idea I have a holiday booked
    Wooooooosh.......

Leave a comment:

• CChann
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    You're obviously milking the situation.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Maybe it's a problem with Moo?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I told them last month way before they let others go, my manager who knows about the holidays as well left , its booked in my dairy too.I'm in sitting at my desk doing nothing

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    Clueless. Yes, look after yourself, but keeping client happy is number one aim. Even if that means delivering to them difficult realities. At the end of the day, you constantly whinge about your clients, so I'm not sure you have a clue at how to keep yourself happy, never mind your clients.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Crock of tulipe. Yes keep client happy if possible, but end of day look after yourself.
    Clueless. Yes, look after yourself, but keeping client happy is number one aim. Even if that means delivering to them difficult realities. At the end of the day, you constantly whinge about your clients, so I'm not sure you have a clue at how to keep yourself happy, never mind your clients.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Thanks for this,I'm going preparing for the worst
    Stick to your guns. Do what you can to help as long as its not to the detriment of you or your new gig or your family.

If they play funny buggers, keep timesheets, go with the flow and follow process if needs be.

Two weeks before you go? Do you get timesheet signed every week? I'd be on the ball getting first one signed, if they refuse then I'd consider not turning up for 2nd week.
    Explain that to them. Sign off first week or I wont be here next week. Of course, nothing saying they wont refuse to sign the 2nd week adter that.

Leave a comment:

• CChann
    replied
    To the OP. I'd have chat with Safe Collections who post on here regularly. I'd say you are not gonna get your last pay at this rate so better get your rights sorted. If the agent or client sees that you are clued up they are less likely to try withhold the last payment. If you look like a push over then they'll try it on.

Be prepared to state your case as early as possible i.e. what your rights to payment is, what interest you intend to pay on late payment and when you will start to charge interest, probably quoting the late payment of commercial debts legislation linked below. This should put the willies up them and avoid a long drawn out battle..

https://www.gov.uk/late-commercial-p...ommercial-debt

Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998
    Thanks for this,I'm preparing for the worst
    Last edited by CChann; 27 March 2015, 12:54.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Thanks everyone, update on my situation, client sent me a list of tasks to complete before I go nothing related to what I do,I'm tempted to paste them all in here but to avoid issues later,here are some
    * Refine the process and remove manual steps in deployments ,how to migrate to amazon aws, integrate sonarQuebe into builds , before pullrequests ,look into CI and document best practices of CI

I'm a Test Automation QA with 13 years of experience.

I'm now trying to delay the start of my new gig and still trying to figure what the client actually seeing me as (Dev ops/ Developer not sure which one)
    Seems you're being fair to existing client IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    You kinda answered to you own question at the end. Keeping the client happy is part of any B2B relationship. Also asking the client will identify if the legal action threat is coming from them or the Agent (most likely the later).

If the client is not happy with you being on a holiday for 2 weeks out of 4 weeks notice, they can just not sign the timesheets for the other 2 weeks (and rightfully so, as according to the OP he is not doing any work). Then all the sudden instead of missing 2 weeks invoicing you end up missing 4

Not to mention that leaving an unhappy customer behind will reflect bad on your references.
    Crock of tulipe. Yes keep client happy if possible, but end of day look after yourself.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    You are forgetting that when a client gives notice the contractor isn't happy. It appears to be a pretty balanced situation.

Client gives notice and is happy --> Contractor wazzed off
    Contractor gives notice and is happy --> Client wazzed off

Don't think you can apportion blame or acting unfairly really. It's the same both ways.

You also have to appreciate this is a client/supplier relationship. If the supplier gives notice it puts the client in a more disadvantaged situation as he doesn't get his requirements filled.
    True but expected to suck it up. Doesnt (usually) end up with contractor threatening client etc.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Remember for the future that carrying out tasks at the clients whim is Direction and Control and could affect your IR35 status.

Leave a comment:

• CChann
    replied
    Thanks everyone, update on my situation, client sent me a list of tasks to complete before I go nothing related to what I do,I'm tempted to paste them all in here but to avoid issues later,here are some
    * Refine the process and remove manual steps in deployments ,how to migrate to amazon aws, integrate sonarQuebe into builds , before pullrequests ,look into CI and document best practices of CI

I'm a Test Automation QA with 13 years of experience.

I'm now trying to delay the start of my new gig and still trying to figure what the client actually seeing me as (Dev ops/ Developer not sure which one)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X