• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left - client requesting personal laptop audit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I think it's the disadvantage of contracting!

Permie gets diagnosed with stress by doc, gets signed off for 6 months on full pay, comes back to a less stressful role.

Contractor gets diagnosed with stress by doc, has to dump contract, can't interview due to stress, warchest dwindles adding to stress, big gap on CV, less interviews, less warchest, more stress.

That would be a fcking awful situation.
    Hence you need to jump ship beforehand work work related stress or address it quickly

Home/personal stress is a different matter

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      Hence you need to jump ship beforehand work work related stress or address it quickly

How exactly are home and work stress different for a contractor?

You are out there to do some work and the client doesn't give a bollock what the reason for your stress is. On the other hand, a permie will be treated differently.

A contractor is out there earning a certain amount of money for a whole tulip load of reasons. Delivering under all circumstances is one of them.

Comment

Aye, It's not the source of the stress that's the issue. My point is that permies often get (paid) support from their employers regardless of whether their wife left them or they hate their job or a combo that may or may not be linked.

As a contractor you are reliant on having deep enough pockets to see it through, which for many is another cause of, well, stress.

And no, I am in no way suggesting that clients should have to provide similar to contractors before anyone makes that leap.

Comment

Contractor gets diagnosed with stress by doc, has to dump contract, can't interview due to stress, warchest dwindles adding to stress, big gap on CV, less interviews, less warchest, more stress.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I think it's the disadvantage of contracting!

Permie gets diagnosed with stress by doc, gets signed off for 6 months on full pay, comes back to a less stressful role.

Totally agree. Definite disadvantage here.
            But at least we dont have to get sicknotes etc.

But I would agree its really tough if and when this happens. Winds me up when people try to say its made up or suck it up etc.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              There will be some department completely separate dealing with security, and you may well have agreed implicitly or explicitly to abide by their security policy.

I would just take it in and get it done, just so they can't chase you up afterwards.

I mean you're in the right but is it worth it. The security people at the client co might not give up on this one and give you an awful lot of hassle.
              I have to disagree with Blaster. The client might have genuine security concerns, but it is not appropriate for them to have your laptop or rummage through its contents. Goodness knows what they would do with it. It might be destroyed, your own data could be damaged, they could even plant evidence, who knows ? And what come back would you have ? The only people with rights to your laptop are the Police, and only under special circumstances. Your client's security department can don whatever uniform they want, and speak in deep voices, but they aren't police and they have no powers beyond those of a private citizen.

As I say it sounds like one manager being a bit silly.

...still assuming of course the contract says nothing on this...

Comment

Sorry, yes it exists for people with mental or emotional issues (I take it you have it bad) - from NHS website

Whole point of being a contractor is you can leave before it effects your life.

Client is probably thinking the OP has found another contract, left them in the lurch with no handover, and made up an excuse, no wonder they are suspicious of what he has on his PC as he has been caught already downloading client data, i would not worry if I was him about getting paid in this situation, I would be more worried about getting sued by client or my next reference
                Aye fair enough. I can see clients thinking maybe.

If it was me and I had to leave two weeks early I would ensure client was informed that A) I wouldnt be renewing and B) Awfully sorry but due to ill health I wont be in for last few weeks,

Chances are client might still think yeh right hes started another gig but there you go.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Sorry, yes it exists for people with mental or emotional issues (I take it you have it bad) - from NHS website
                  No, I haven't had it actually, but being a grown up, I'm aware that some people suffer from different mental issues, including stress and depression, and I wouldn't be so callous as to describe it as "made up". Nor would I use these subjects to have a little dig, like you tried to do. You need to grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    I have to disagree with Blaster. The client might have genuine security concerns, but it is not appropriate for them to have your laptop or rummage through its contents. Goodness knows what they would do with it. It might be destroyed, your own data could be damaged, they could even plant evidence, who knows ? And what come back would you have ? The only people with rights to your laptop are the Police, and only under special circumstances. Your client's security department can don whatever uniform they want, and speak in deep voices, but they aren't police and they have no powers beyond those of a private citizen.

As I say it sounds like one manager being a bit silly.

...still assuming of course the contract says nothing on this...

They can sue you because you didn't abide by the security policy which in the case of a client with a strict security policy is generally part of your contract. For all my contracts I've always signed a document that means I abide with policies on confidentiality.

Spending a couple hours popping into the client to get signed off is surely better than potentially spending even more hours and spending hundreds of pounds with a soliciter battling with an angry client.

Fighting a client and getting into a legal battle just to "save a bit of pride" is not a good idea. Checking a Laptop which has had clients data on it is not unreasonable, and it's perfectly normal practice for private laptops to be scanned. If you don't want it to be scanned then make sure the client provides you with a laptop. I don't know any clients that wouldn't scan a Laptop that is to be connected on to their systems.

and finally the two rules of marketing :

1. The client is always right
                    2. If he isn't go to rule 1.

They pay the bills.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 February 2015, 12:42.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      and finally the two rules of marketing :

1. The client is always right
                      2. If you want his money go to rule 1.

They pay the bills.
                      FTfy as there are times its better to tell the client to bugger off....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X