• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offered renewal - best approach to getting slight increase off agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offered renewal - best approach to getting slight increase off agent

When I first went for the interview, it was listed as £X. I spoke to the agent and they said so you'd do it for £x-£20 then?
    Stupidly, I agreed but I got the gig.

Three months are almost up now. Agent has been completely useless in this time, impossible to contact when something needs sorting out but cant get rid of her now this extension has been offered (called me 11 times, left 6 messages, sent 5 emails on Friday asking me accept the extension on same terms - even though I told her first time I was really busy and might need to think over the weekend!)

Anyway, in the past a lot of more seasoned contractors have told me its sometimes an idea to squeeze their margin a little on the extension because, whereas they've had work to do to get you in there, now its all easy.

BUT, I did see this go wrong once at my last gig. We all knew agent was taking a huge cut, so one of the other contractors asked for an increase and mentioned the margin. In the end, agent played one against the other and told client contractor had demanded the extra and was holding them to ransom. Basically, made the contractor look like a right greedy git.

So best way to play this to get more of agents cut without it getting to the client in this way? Not much I know but hey ho. Would be nice since my transport costs are more than originally thought (I planned to catch the train which is cheap but I now mostly end up driving because its more flexible for the work hours Im doing for the client).

If your transport costs are more than originally planned then getting your £20 'back' is worth a try but as ever you have to be prepared to walk.

Comment

Tell him you want the original (or £10 more or whatever) or you walk. Simple as that. You are after a cut of the agents cash not the clients so good work, extra responsibilities etc won't matter a jot to the agent. His income is the only thing he wants to protect and if you threaten that he might bend.

Remember they deal with people day in day out trying it on with the raise so will be a dab hand. Unless you can convince him you really will go you are on a hiding to no where. Cock your first request up and he'll laugh at you next time you try as well.

Point out a load of gigs at a higher rate so he knows you aren't just making up and tell him you want a raise to stay.

Would ask though, is it really worth rocking the boat for 10-20 a day?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

More or less the question asked by NLUK. Compared to your day rate, how big is this £20 ? and is it worth fighting with an agent, who could possibly make you look like a greedy tot in front of the client?
        Are you prepared to walk if it all goes wrong? Do you have a warchest ..? And all those usual questions.

Comment

is it worth mentioning the original advertised rate?
          and telling them you think you have proven your worth more, since the client wants to extend.

If they want to approach the client for money making you sound like a greedy sod, point out that you accepted the contract on a lower rate & ask if the agency passed on the savings to them.

Comment

Fair points its only £20 but still, £100 week, £400+ month after all.

But take points on board.

Comment

Originally posted by AMH View Post
              is it worth mentioning the original advertised rate?
              and telling them you think you have proven your worth more, since the client wants to extend.

If they want to approach the client for money making you sound like a greedy sod, point out that you accepted the contract on a lower rate & ask if the agency passed on the savings to them.
              This is bollox. The client has no interest in what rate the agency quoted the rate as.

You're either providing above and beyond the client's expectations and can justify an increase OR you're that good that you can convince the agency that they need to take a hit on profits for the sake of a long term deal. Or you're willing to walk.

Why would the agency agree to less money? If you cannot answer this then there's no increase available.

Comment

Thing is though if they go to the client then it never ends well IMHO. Agency tells the client that its none of their fault etc and its those greedy contractors again.

Im hoping that £20 they might think oh well we got away with it for a bit but we'll let it go now?
                Maybe not. But no I dont want to walk but fairly sure the agent has pocketed this £20 first time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  This is bollox. The client has no interest in what rate the agency quoted the rate as.
                  Everything he's posted so far is bollox. He's managed to give less useful input per post that PC does!! Gotta be a troll surely?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X