• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Referring to spouse in contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referring to spouse in contract

Hi All,

Back to contracting for the first time in years.... I've got something lined up but was surprised to see clauses in the contract under warranties such as:

"no-one other than the Consultant or their spouse influences or controls the way in which payments to the Consultant are made by the Supplier;

no-one other than Consultant or their spouse influences or controls the activities or finances of the Supplier;"

My spouse isn't a director of my ltd co, doesnt have any shares (yet), so I'm wondering if this is standard?

Additionally, whats the general feeling about liability insurance for IT consultants? Any recommednations?

Thanks,
    Tim

I've never seen that clause, but I'd not be comfortable with the wording of the Consultant either, that suggests it's a personal contract and not a business to business one. I think you would be wise to get the whole thing IR35 reviewed.

Liability insurances - I can't remember the last time I had a client that didn't require it. It's cheap to get anyway.

Comment

Consultant is surely YourCo? Is YourCo married?

Comment

This is all down to lawyers scaremongering agencies over the changes to ITEPA this year regarding the perceived 'self-employment' loophole.

Given that agencies don't have a clue abou the law, they will always take a lawyers advice.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          I've never seen that clause, but I'd not be comfortable with the wording of the Consultant either, that suggests it's a personal contract and not a business to business one. I think you would be wise to get the whole thing IR35 reviewed.

Liability insurances - I can't remember the last time I had a client that didn't require it. It's cheap to get anyway.
          Yup - will be getting it reviewed, but I've the option of a short term contract while Crunch take their 10 days to review.

Contract differentiates between supplier and consultant provided by supplier (with substitutability provision) but these clauses do seem a bit odd.

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Consultant is surely YourCo? Is YourCo married?
          If the company *is* married I'm a bit peeved I didnt get an invitation to the wedding ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jatra View Post
            Yup - will be getting it reviewed, but I've the option of a short term contract while Crunch take their 10 days to review.

Contract differentiates between supplier and consultant provided by supplier (with substitutability provision) but these clauses do seem a bit odd.

If the company *is* married I'm a bit peeved I didnt get an invitation to the wedding ;-)
            QDOS can turn it around in 24 hours for a fee and looking at that clause it will be money well spent!!! I have a feeling that won't be the only issue with that contract. They have turned around one of their free check you get with PI/PL as a favour but dunno what to do to get that. Maybe tell them NLUK sent you. Might give them a giggle I guess but wouldn't expect much else.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Tell the agent to take out all references to an unconnected third party, unless they can justify why it is in there.

When they can't justify it, change it.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Jatra View Post
                Hi All,

Back to contracting for the first time in years.... I've got something lined up but was surprised to see clauses in the contract under warranties such as:

"no-one other than the Consultant or their spouse influences or controls the way in which payments to the Consultant are made by the Supplier;

no-one other than Consultant or their spouse influences or controls the activities or finances of the Supplier;"

My spouse isn't a director of my ltd co, doesnt have any shares (yet), so I'm wondering if this is standard?

Additionally, whats the general feeling about liability insurance for IT consultants? Any recommednations?

Thanks,
                Tim
                Wording makes no sense. Review essential IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Maybe tell them NLUK sent you. Might give them a giggle I guess but wouldn't expect much else.
                  I sincerely hope to witness the confusion of whoever answers that call.
                  Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    This is all down to lawyers scaremongering agencies over the changes to ITEPA this year regarding the perceived 'self-employment' loophole.
                    Could be that, or could well be MSC. Post MSC quite a few bizarre clauses along similar lines started to appear in some contracts.

Either way it's not brilliant. Not particularly indicative of a genuine business to business agreement. Obviously overall position depends on what else is in there; particularly substitution.
                    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
                    X