• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency/client 'standard' terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency/client 'standard' terms

Think I got stitched up again with this one.

Get offered the gig and agency say these are the standard terms etc, not negotiable, client wont budge etc. One of them was no notice from me and one week from them = bit tight.
    I got the contract reviewed and they did change some of the wording (so much for no changes !!!).

Am I being stupid agreeing? Is there such a thing as 'standard' terms or is this just an excuse to stitch up stupid people like me?

Must admit after being offered the gig and being excited, its tough to say nah I dont like the terms, change them please. Always wonder if at some point agency is going to think, sod this, we'll go with someone less hassle and tell client first choice refused? WOuld be gutted if I lost one like this.

Always wonder how many of these terms such as no notice etc actually come from the client or is it just agency trying to get contractor done and dusted with no chance at all of early departure?
    How do you tell if something is geniunely negotiable?

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post

Am I being stupid agreeing? Is there such a thing as 'standard' terms or is this just an excuse to stitch up stupid people like me?
    There is no such thing as standard terms.

Also when you ask for changes get use to hearing "We have hundreds of other contractors and not one has complained about the contract...blah blah...our contracts have been checked by solicitors and they are IR35 compliant ...blah blah..." Just ignore it.

Anyway what happened with the last contract you were moaning about?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

All it means is 'we don't want to waste any time going back and forward with every contractor, these are our terms, sign them'.

Comment

A contract is a negotiation between two parties, by the sounds of it the agency has the power and can dictate what they want to happen, it is upto you to either agree or walk away
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

One of them was no notice from me and one week from them = bit tight.
          I got the contract reviewed and they did change some of the wording (so much for no changes !!!).

There are always standard terms. That just means the normal terms on which they would like to do business. Some of these are more flexible than others - and I would expect the notice period to be one of those. FWIW, I don't see anything wrong / tight with the idea that they expect you to do the work but if they need to get rid of you, then they can give you a short notice period and you leave - sounds like good business to me.

Must admit after being offered the gig and being excited, its tough to say nah I dont like the terms, change them please. Always wonder if at some point agency is going to think, sod this, we'll go with someone less hassle and tell client first choice refused? WOuld be gutted if I lost one like this.
          They could do that - if there isn't much between you and the next candidate, then why deal with the "stroppy" one rather than the no hassle one?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            There are always standard terms. That just means the normal terms on which they would like to do business. Some of these are more flexible than others - and I would expect the notice period to be one of those. FWIW, I don't see anything wrong / tight with the idea that they expect you to do the work but if they need to get rid of you, then they can give you a short notice period and you leave - sounds like good business to me.

They could do that - if there isn't much between you and the next candidate, then why deal with the "stroppy" one rather than the no hassle one?
            Aye thats the bit that worries me. Spoken to other contractors and they seem more of a pushover than me.

Comment

So you're refusing a contract where the only sticky is no notice? If the contract duration is 6 months I'd baulk, if it was 3 months I'd take it.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Renewal time now. Client spoke to me directly and said we'd like to offer you three months. Hopefully, we'll be able to keep you this long because the work should be there.
                Obviously, well aware that they've got a weeks notice with me.

Agency have contacted me and said same contract same terms? Must admit if there is uncertainty like this I'd rather have my own notice period as well.
                Seems fair to me - if they're admitting they might need to get rid of me if it suits then if something longer comes along I dont want to miss out because of no notice period and then get the boot two weeks laer anyway.

Best way to play this?

Comment

Renewal time now. Client spoke to me directly and said we'd like to offer you three months. Hopefully, we'll be able to keep you this long because the work should be there.
                  Obviously, well aware that they've got a weeks notice with me.

Agency have contacted me and said same contract same terms? Must admit if there is uncertainty like this I'd rather have my own notice period as well.
                  Seems fair to me - if they're admitting they might need to get rid of me if it suits then if something longer comes along I dont want to miss out because of no notice period and then get the boot two weeks laer anyway.

Best way to play this?
                  IMO if the client is a no notice type then trying to get one in hasn't a hope in hell of working. Once you have one everyone else will want one yadda yadda. Accept the gig, see it to the end and then look for work. Don't be getting all strung up second guessing what might or might not happy. Three months is a pretty normal duration as many clients have three month cycles with their clients. I know my last 3 have. If the agent gave me 6 I would be more worried because I wouldn't believe the upper contract can back that up.

Also they aren't admitting anything. Notice periods are a fact of life in ANY contract. I think you are reading far too much in to all this.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    IMO if the client is a no notice type then trying to get one in hasn't a hope in hell of working. Once you have one everyone else will want one yadda yadda. Accept the gig, see it to the end and then look for work. Don't be getting all strung up second guessing what might or might not happy. Three months is a pretty normal duration as many clients have three month cycles with their clients. I know my last 3 have. If the agent gave me 6 I would be more worried because I wouldn't believe the upper contract can back that up.

Also they aren't admitting anything. Notice periods are a fact of life in ANY contract. I think you are reading far too much in to all this.
                    Maybe. Dunno if its the client or the agency with the no notice thing though these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X