• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project based CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project based CV

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was anybody who'd be able to give me a hand converting my CV to a more contract / project orientated style? Or even any advice in general.

When I first started contracting I just used a standard "permie" style one, which was fine - it got me my first project and then my second role with a consultancy doing more projects, but on their behalf. I want to downplay the individual contracts and emphasise that I'm someone you can bring in for a particular project, rather than some kind of 6 month BAU role.

I've got something together, but I'm not sure if it's saying what I want it to say.

Cheers,
    Dan

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Hi All,

I was wondering if there was anybody who'd be able to give me a hand converting my CV to a more contract / project orientated style? Or even any advice in general.

When I first started contracting I just used a standard "permie" style one, which was fine - it got me my first project and then my second role with a consultancy doing more projects, but on their behalf. I want to downplay the individual contracts and emphasise that I'm someone you can bring in for a particular project, rather than some kind of 6 month BAU role.

I've got something together, but I'm not sure if it's saying what I want it to say.

Cheers,
    Dan
    I get this terrible feeling of dejá vu... Have a wander through this thread, starting here.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      I get this terrible feeling of dejá vu... Have a wander through this thread, starting here.
      Thanks Malvolio. Reading what you put there, I'm perhaps closer than I thought. My new CV (since going contracting) does broadly follow what you've suggested. I've currently got 2 pages with Page 2 dedicated to my permie job history, which runs until this year. I think this is still important since my career has been pretty progressive and my last permie role was for a consultancy doing exactly what I'm doing in contract.

On Page 1, Para 1 and Para 2 are already exactly as you describe and then I have my industry certs (Highly specific and relevant). At the bottom of the page I've got my skills matrix.

It's the bit inbetween I'm still a bit unsure about - because I'm an actual consultant I get through quite lot of projects. A lot of the time my bigger enterprise work isn't full time, so during a 6 or 7 month project I may wind up fitting in a couple of mickey mouse one and two week projects for SME's.

Because of this, there's no way in the world I can list every project I've done and, naturally, I want to focus on the more interesting and bigger ones. I've currently got something along the lines of:

RECENT PROJECT HIGHLIGHTS
      SENIOR WIDGET CONSULTANT - MYCO
      Project: R J Smith & Co, London (On behalf of Systems Integrator 1)
      • Senior widget consultant providing oversight for a multinational widget upgrade project to blah de blah
      • Did a lot of stuff
      • And some more

Project: Alpha Holdings Ltd, Manchester (On behalf of Systems Integrator 2)
      • Lead consultant responsible for delivering a bazillion widgets
      • Did a lot of stuff
      • And some more

Does that....work?

Comment

Thanks Malvolio. Reading what you put there, I'm perhaps closer than I thought. My new CV (since going contracting) does broadly follow what you've suggested. I've currently got 2 pages with Page 2 dedicated to my permie job history, which runs until this year. I think this is still important since my career has been pretty progressive and my last permie role was for a consultancy doing exactly what I'm doing in contract.

On Page 1, Para 1 and Para 2 are already exactly as you describe and then I have my industry certs (Highly specific and relevant). At the bottom of the page I've got my skills matrix.

It's the bit inbetween I'm still a bit unsure about - because I'm an actual consultant I get through quite lot of projects. A lot of the time my bigger enterprise work isn't full time, so during a 6 or 7 month project I may wind up fitting in a couple of mickey mouse one and two week projects for SME's.

Because of this, there's no way in the world I can list every project I've done and, naturally, I want to focus on the more interesting and bigger ones. I've currently got something along the lines of:

RECENT PROJECT HIGHLIGHTS
        SENIOR WIDGET CONSULTANT - MYCO

Project: R J Smith & Co, London (On behalf of Systems Integrator 1)
        • Senior widget consultant providing oversight for a multinational widget upgrade project to blah de blah
        • Did a lot of stuff
        • And some more
        Project: Alpha Holdings Ltd, Manchester (On behalf of Systems Integrator 2)
        • Lead consultant responsible for delivering a bazillion widgets
        • Did a lot of stuff
        • And some more

Does that....work?
        Yes, pretty much ...

Think of the achievements bit as a set of mini case studies. Pick the 3 or 4 most relevant to the specific role and explain, succinctly, how you have delivered/resolved/created that particular solution and how it relates to what they want. The key is "done", as in led or delivered.

It's always the first two sections get you the interview. The rest is merely justification and window dressing.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          'Career progression'? You sure you're cut out to be a contractor?

I gave short shrift to one pompous interviewer who commented on the lack of 'career progression' within contracting on my cv.

Told him in no uncertain terms I didnt have to set out to impress anyone or climb any greasey pole like employed people do. I could pick and choose when and where I worked unlike an employed person has to do. Told him I could concentrate on what I liked doing and actually utilise my skills instead of working just to tick boxes for 'career progression.'

Wasnt you by any chance, was it?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            'Career progression'? You sure you're cut out to be a contractor?
            So, a couple of things - when I mentioned progression I was talking about the permie history of my CV, which shows a clear path to why I now refer to myself as a senior / expert level consultant.

Secondly, for me, contracting was merely the next step in my career. As someone who is trying hard to reach the top of their game and become a recognised expert in their field I think it's very important to show progression through to bigger and more complex projects. If you're happy with your lot, your place in your field and your skillset then that's fine, but I'm still young so I like to think I've got some mileage in me yet

Comment

So, a couple of things - when I mentioned progression I was talking about the permie history of my CV, which shows a clear path to why I now refer to myself as a senior / expert level consultant.

Secondly, for me, contracting was merely the next step in my career. As someone who is trying hard to reach the top of their game and become a recognised expert in their field I think it's very important to show progression through to bigger and more complex projects. If you're happy with your lot, your place in your field and your skillset then that's fine, but I'm still young so I like to think I've got some mileage in me yet
              You better be good to start calling yourself an 'expert': the term winds me up more than 'rockstar'. Almost all of the people I've met who called themselves experts were mediocre at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                You better be good to start calling yourself an 'expert': the term winds me up more than 'rockstar'. Almost all of the people I've met who called themselves experts were mediocre at best.
                Hah, yeah, agree with you there. I tend to use senior or experienced as the description. Though that was kind of the point of my response - I have the history (and qualifications) to back up the assertion. Plus I'm awesome.

Comment

Working...
                X