• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone, i am currently in a permi 3rd line technical lead role with over 10 years IT experience, i have broad experience of different technologies (vmware/blade/networking/windows/exchange/citrix/juniper/emc/3par). I wanted to test the contracting world so i applied for several 3rd line/infrastructure roles in various locations and i only received one response.

Why is it so difficult for permanent staff to grt into contracting? Also i am keen to here about other peoples experience, when the agency advertises 6 months contacts do they mean 6 months or can this b3 shorter?

Many thanks

Maybe it's you. Maybe the agencies feel there is more risk with a permie than with an established contractor. Maybe it's your poor spelling and attention to detail?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think the traditional advice is to resign/get fired/made redundant THEN go contracting

Comment

Contractors are often required on very short notice, while permanent staff might have to give a month's notice, or be unavailable when required.

Also, agents get a lot of people contacting them, and are probably handling a number of contracts at the same time. Usually they can only put three or four CVs forward to the client, so when they've got a few likely prospects lined up they don't bother replying to anybody else. I seldom bother responding to any posting on JobServe that's more than 24 hours old, and try to get in there within a couple of hours.

There's never any guarantee of how long a contract will last, though mine tend to end up being extended more often than anything, usually due to unexpected circumstances at the client causing projects to overrun. Three months becoming nine months isn't uncommon. However I've also had a three month contract turn into one month when a project got pushed back within a couple of days of me starting.
        Last edited by NickFitz; 3 November 2014, 10:24. Reason: Typos. Need more coffee :-/

Comment

Originally posted by kamran View Post
          Hello everyone, i am currently in a permi 3rd line technical lead role with over 10 years IT experience, i have broad experience of different technologies (vmware/blade/networking/windows/exchange/citrix/juniper/emc/3par). I wanted to test the contracting world so i applied for several 3rd line/infrastructure roles in various locations and i only received one response.

Why is it so difficult for permanent staff to grt into contracting? Also i am keen to here about other peoples experience, when the agency advertises 6 months contacts do they mean 6 months or can this b3 shorter?

Many thanks
          Why is it so hard? Stupid agents and clients is the answer. Why is it so hard for permies to go contracting and contractors to go permie? Simply answer is agents \ clients are reluctant to take on something that doesnt fit their requirements even if the skills match.

When I started contracting (here he goes again!) I had two contract interviews. It didnt bother either client that I was permie and had a 4 week notice period. Didnt get the first one although client said they would short list me again for future roles while the second I got and the client waited the 4 weeks notice.

So, no doubt some want an immediate start which in reality tends to be 2 weeks while a few may still wait 3 or 4 weeks. Other than that, its a numbers game, apply for a lot and get more nibbles.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Also someone new to contracted after being permit for a while isn't a good bet for the honest agent seeking someone he feels will see the role out. What would you do, forward the experienced trusted contractor or the noob who might bail after two weeks because he doesn't like it...?

Comment

As others have said you need to be available on short term, so if you're serious about contracting you will have to hand in notice and start applying about 4 weeks before you have fully served your notice. Also just lie to agents when they ask you when you're available, always say in two weeks (or less)

Comment

It may be that they are looking for professionals with good grammar and spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  It may be that they are looking for professionals with good grammar and spelling.
                  Well that knock stek out then!
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Other comments to one side, your post suggests you've only sent a few role applications in. That's no basis to even hint at it being easy or hard for you to get a contract role.

Experienced contractors, with contractor oriented CV's (odds are yours is permy aligned) send off many CV's to get a hit due to loads of reasons:-

Roles are fake on job boards
                    Roles aren't confirmed and never hire anyone
                    Roles get pulled just before hiring
                    Roles are poorly defined and the CV's they get aren't suitable
                    They want to get people in on a visa so the role is advertised as a covering scam
                    Role is real, but has been put off for a while
                    The agent already has the max number to put forwards
                    Role is filled internally or by someone's mate

Those are just a few of the reasons it can look hard, in addition to the many others that you do actually have some control over.
                    Last edited by TykeMerc; 3 November 2014, 15:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X