• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for Company where I was previously Permanently Employed and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    BETs are largely a risk assessment tool - they are indicative of your risk of investigation according to HMRCs own criteria. They do not determine your IR35 status.

Multiple contracts might score you points on the BETs and reduce your investigation risk but they change nothing with regards to the IR35 status of each individual contract.
    Multiple contracts aren't covered in the BET's so they have no bearing on any potential risk to investigation. However as you say if the question of IR35 pertains to each individual contract why waste time asking questions not contract specific to assess risk. I appreciate HMRC like to keep things as vague as possible

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
      Multiple contracts aren't covered in the BET's so they have no bearing on any potential risk to investigation. However as you say if the question of IR35 pertains to each individual contract why waste time asking questions not contract specific to assess risk. I appreciate HMRC like to keep things as vague as possible
      Its been a while since I looked at the BETs - I thought it did cover them. The BETs are rubbish anyway. I think we all know that.

Comment

And which client would provide the other income? Another piece of work at your ex employer or completely different clients? Personally I would ditch such a small piece of high risk work if it would jeopardise my ability to get a much better full time one. If your type of work can be done in parallel then fine. If this work is minimal just account for it being inside IR35 and have done. The risk and potential unwanted interest just aren't worth the returns.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          If your type of work can be done in parallel then fine. If this work is minimal just account for it being inside IR35 and have done.
          As Martin pointed out, if the high risk contract brought in less than what OP was paying themselves as their basic salary, their tax obligations would be satisfied with respect to IR35 anyway.

That said, if one higher risk contract increases your chance of an investigation which would then bring potentially all of your contracts under further scrutiny it might not be worth it.

Comment

Working...
          X