• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract rewrite - is this a messed up clause in contract, or usual stuff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract rewrite - is this a messed up clause in contract, or usual stuff?

Greetings CUK'ers (no pun intended!!)

Just been boomed - confirmed in email from client - and waiting for the Agency email.

In the contract there's a clause stating....

1.Agency reserves the right to terminate the Consultant’s assignment immediately without payment or notice or other compensation in the event of unsatisfactory work by the individual.

2. Agency reserves the right to terminate the Consultant’s assignment without payment in lieu of notice or other compensation in the event of any misconduct or other behaviour that is less than reasonable professional standards.

I have some doubt about #2, but it could pass for reasonable - however I think #1 is seriously messed up. It gives the agency carte blanche to not pay a penny if the manager throws a hissy, and given that timesheets are all done on the client's own portal, that's a month's exposure.

I guess it all comes down to my own appetite for risk, but it'd be good to get some advice from my fellow sufferers

Originally posted by SQLSwerver View Post

Just been boomed - confirmed in email from client - and waiting for the Agency email.

1.Agency reserves the right to terminate the Consultant’s assignment immediately without payment or notice or other compensation in the event of unsatisfactory work by the individual.

2. Agency reserves the right to terminate the Consultant’s assignment without payment in lieu of notice or other compensation in the event of any misconduct or other behaviour that is less than reasonable professional standards.

I have some doubt about #2, but it could pass for reasonable - however I think #1 is seriously messed up. It gives the agency carte blanche to not pay a penny if the manager throws a hissy, and given that timesheets are all done on the client's own portal, that's a month's exposure.

I guess it all comes down to my own appetite for risk, but it'd be good to get some advice from my fellow sufferers
    I would see both as forming part of the 'deal' you get as a contractor. Unlike permanent staff, a company can get rid of you without months of handwringing... but on the plus side, if you're good, you'll be kept on and be paid very well.

Also: remember what you are; a contractor. Someone providing a service for a fee. If you contracted someone to refit your kitchen and you didn't like the job, you wouldn't expect to pay them anyway would you.

Just don't be rubbish
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Whether the clauses are reasonable or not depends on what is written in the upper contract.

I've questioned agencies on clauses like this.

In the case of 1 sometimes the upper contract has a statement in it where the contractor is allowed x days to rectify the issue. However even with this additional time if you agree with the client a deadline to produce something and you don't produce it by that deadline due to your lack of skill then expect to get walked.

In the case of 2 the agency drone is too lazy to write in the contractor contract a more lengthy term which means you must not discriminate against, abuse or generally harass other workers on the client site.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

that's quite common

Those are quite common. I've got the exact same line (first one) and similar to the second in my current contract.

Comment

When contracts typically have a clause that says you can be sacked with one week's notice without any reason provided, this is why I wonder why the excessive screening required by some companies are so ridiculous?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            I would see both as forming part of the 'deal' you get as a contractor. Unlike permanent staff, a company can get rid of you without months of handwringing... but on the plus side, if you're good, you'll be kept on and be paid very well.

Also: remember what you are; a contractor. Someone providing a service for a fee. If you contracted someone to refit your kitchen and you didn't like the job, you wouldn't expect to pay them anyway would you.

Just don't be rubbish
            You could be the very best at your job. If the agent is suffering from cash-flow problems and decide to move the risk down to you, you could still be out on your ear and out of pocket. The agent would then have saved a bit of money.

You have to decide how trustworthy/cash-rich the agency is before you say yes.

Mitigation is much cheaper than litigation after all...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
            X