• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding out agency cut - wish I didnt know now! Never ends well.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    LOL. I like moaning.
    There's a forum for that.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      LOL. I like moaning.

But of course, I wake up every morning, and am happy in the knowledge im not a miserable sod like some of you lot!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        Well no he's a lying pimp, if you want to be technical. I'm not seeing where the professionalism is for the pimp to state he's making almost no money when he's making well over the industry average. For every week you work he's pocketing one day of your money.
        If you put it that way they yes but an agent not telling the whole truth and trying to pull the wool over the contractors eyes is hardly new. We should assume they are on the take every time their lips move and so enter the negotiation. It's their job so as much as it's annoying you can't blame them. Just have to play it hard and be happy with the rate you take. If he gets too much and you find out then nail him to the wall next renewal. You negotiate a rate you are happy with and get on with the gig. If you find out he's pulled a fast one you screw him at next renewal.

So your view is that,

1. He's a good negotiator?
        2. You shouldn't ask what rate you are on?

My view is that he's a scumbag and eventually the client will work this out and they will lose the relationship. I don't get this view that somehow pimps only lie to the contractor, they lie to both parties. Just accepting this as the norm is not something that I do, if that's "hating" then so be it.
        1. Yes and no. Depends on what side of the fence you are on. If he works for you he's good, if you are being screwed over by him then he's a scumbag. Either way, he got the contractor to accept when the contractor had a choice.
        2. I am not sure I said that. Sometimes ignorance is bliss if you are happy but on the flip side it can be good ammo for the next renewal or a lesson for the future. I do know finding out and then crying and let it potentially ruin the gig you are in is not the thing to do.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          most would call him a good agent who has pulled the wool over some silly bastards head.
          Well no he's a lying pimp, if you want to be technical.
          Tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Well no he's a lying pimp, if you want to be technical. I'm not seeing where the professionalism is for the pimp to state he's making almost no money when he's making well over the industry average. For every week you work he's pocketing one day of your money.
            Alternatively, for every week you work, you're taking 80% of his money. If it was your money, you'd be out there getting 100% of it, and not relying on a pimp to do it. If you have to use an agency, then you need to understand how they work rather than moaning when they manage to haggle you down on the cut that you get.

So your view is that,

1. He's a good negotiator?
            2. You shouldn't ask what rate you are on?
            Pretty much, yes. If I'm happy with the rate, then I don't care what percentage he's taking. I have never asked an agent what percentage they are taking. Once told me that she was on a fixed 10% rate once, and when I looked at the invoices, they were actually on 12.5%. Maybe I should have kicked up a fuss about how they had lied to me, but I really, honestly didn't care - they had got me the highest rate that I'd been on.

My view is that he's a scumbag and eventually the client will work this out and they will lose the relationship. I don't get this view that somehow pimps only lie to the contractor, they lie to both parties. Just accepting this as the norm is not something that I do, if that's "hating" then so be it.
            They are only lying to the client if the client says "how much are you taking?" and they dishonestly answer, or they have a fixed rate agreement and they don't stick to that. I don't see how if an agent agrees a rate with the client and another one with the contractor, they are lying to the client at all.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

You should speak to Frank Big Bird. I'm sure his crack team of lawyers could get you meeeeeelions.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
              X