• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New client, new project, no hope

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New client, new project, no hope

Hello all.

I have been in various contracts for several years, working mostly in central Government. My recent client is a non profit org.

They have absolutely no concept of project management. At. All.

I am trying to separate the two suppliers from us and 'negotiate' contracts (retrospectively) but I am told no formal tendering process was completed. The suppliers are mates/previous colleagues of my client.

The PM documents - PIDs, Business case etc are all being done now, despite people already starting work.

I am on a two year fixed term contract, working 9-5pm I am used to 10 hours plus) but most of the time is spent talking in the kitchen and making coffee and going out for the lunch hour which still exists here. The work involves setting up meetings, minute taking and the mundane admin that comes with PM, because "there is no one else who can do it".

The work is easy and the day rate is ok-ish. It's one of lowest I've been on but rates are no where near as good as about 6/7 years ago.

Do I stay for six months, have an easy life, get it on the CV and then bugg.er off? Or commit to what I contracted to do for two years?

They are not very bright people but that's the reason why contractors come in!

Originally posted by whatsthedayrate View Post
    Hello all.

I have been in various contracts for several years, working mostly in central Government. My recent client is a non profit org.

They have absolutely no concept of project management. At. All.

I am trying to separate the two suppliers from us and 'negotiate' contracts (retrospectively) but I am told no formal tendering process was completed. The suppliers are mates/previous colleagues of my client.

The PM documents - PIDs, Business case etc are all being done now, despite people already starting work.

I am on a two year fixed term contract, working 9-5pm I am used to 10 hours plus) but most of the time is spent talking in the kitchen and making coffee and going out for the lunch hour which still exists here. The work involves setting up meetings, minute taking and the mundane admin that comes with PM, because "there is no one else who can do it".

The work is easy and the day rate is ok-ish. It's one of lowest I've been on but rates are no where near as good as about 6/7 years ago.

Do I stay for six months, have an easy life, get it on the CV and then bugg.er off? Or commit to what I contracted to do for two years?

FTC? Check your contract, you may not have a notice period.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

FTC's are just short employment contracts so they have many of the rights of a permie.

The page below says...

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contra...dterm-contract

Minimum notice period

Fixed-term employees have the right to a minimum notice period of:
      1 week if they’ve worked continuously for at least 1 month
      1 week for each year they’ve worked, if they’ve worked continuously for 2 years or more

These are the minimum periods. The contract may specify a longer notice period.

If an employer ends a contract without giving the proper notice, the employee may be able to claim breach of contract.
      And

Ending the contract early

Employees must hand in their notice 1 week in advance if they’ve worked for an employer for a month or more. The contract may state that they need to give more notice.
      https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-n...ng-leaving-job
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by whatsthedayrate View Post

That's because you will be on a pro-rata permie rate, not a true contractor rate that covers the risks that you don't have on an FTC.

Totally up to you but personally you wouldn't catch me on an FTC unless there is some bloody great benefit to me in the long run.

You are not a contractor, you are a short term permie.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You are not a contractor, you are a short term permie.
          Lol. Harsh but I think true.

Comment

I'll rephrase. I am on a contract, on a day rate, with the term of the contract being 18 months to 2 years. So not an actual fixed term contract with pension etc.

I was having a bad morning. The post was more of a whinge than to ascertain when/if I could leave! Perhaps the thread should be about not-so-bright clients and how we manage them?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              Lol. Harsh but I think true.
              Don't know why it's harsh? It's factually correct. As it happens it appears the OP has it wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X