• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Line manager approving time sheets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Line manager approving time sheets?

Hey folks. Just wondering about this. First time contract - agency just sent me a sample time sheet to fill each month. It is saying it has to be "approved" before the invoice can be paid out. Im new to this, but technically am I not my own line manager? I thought contractors dont report to anyone. So what terminology would we use for this person who approves these, and why do they need to be approved? Just wondering how I should phrase this so we get off on the right path.

Thanks!

Your timesheet needs to be approved by someone with management responsibility at the client, so when the agency eventually invoices the client's financial department the client cannot turn around and say you didn't do the work.

Often agencies pay your invoice before they invoice the client. So to help protect themselves from the client turning around and saying you didn't do the work the timesheet can act as legal proof.

BTW There are a few bad clients who still try it on especially after the last month of your contract. This is why you are advised to not opt-out.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 1 August 2014, 11:23.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Jeeeeeeez
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Jeeeeeeez
        And breath!

There are always people who can't be bothered to read the first timers guides - over there -> on the right under "CUK Navigation".
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Jeeeeeeez
          Okay admit when I read it again it sounded really naive. But really its the wording that I am asking about not why they need to be approved. Obviously someone has to sign them off etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KayMan View Post
            Okay admit when I read it again it sounded really naive. But really its the wording that I am asking about not why they need to be approved. Obviously someone has to sign them off etc.
            That old chestnut, trying to invoice for 56 days for this month again?

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Clients need approval for expenditure against budget. This is one of the ways that they achieve that. It is not sinister but does have other implications.

SueEllen is correct wrt agencies often paying yourco before they invoice the client which is often on 60 day terms so they do need some protection as much from the client as yourco.

Payment with or without timesheet (where clients can sometimes be tardy or downright difficult) can be affected by your Opt Out status. Check on the right for an understanding of the Conduct of Employment Agency Regulations and check your own status as to whether you are opted out or not.

First timers to any site, especially those that have a technical nature are usually presented with a wall of text that often does not include the terms that they are actively interested in. If they don't see their term in the links on the right, they aren't necessarily going to go into each one and look.

Don't feel bad that you didn't see a link to 'Timesheets' on the right - there isn't one

Comment

There are 4 players in the chain. The client, the agent, your LTD and you. I would suggest you try and understand those relationships a little better, who pays who, the relationship between the next one in the chain and lo and behold your answer will become clear.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                  Clients need approval for expenditure against budget. This is one of the ways that they achieve that. It is not sinister but does have other implications.
                  Eh? I think you are thinking of the wrong timesheet.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    Clients need approval for evidence of expenditure against budget. This is one of the ways that they achieve that. It is not sinister but does have other implications.

SueEllen is correct wrt agencies often paying yourco before they invoice the client which is often on 60 day terms so they do need some protection as much from the client as yourco.

Payment with or without timesheet (where clients can sometimes be tardy or downright difficult) can be affected by your Opt Out status. Check on the right for an understanding of the Conduct of Employment Agency Regulations and check your own status as to whether you are opted out or not.

First timers to any site, especially those that have a technical nature are usually presented with a wall of text that often does not include the terms that they are actively interested in. If they don't see their term in the links on the right, they aren't necessarily going to go into each one and look.

Don't feel bad that you didn't see a link to 'Timesheets' on the right - there isn't one
                    FTFM

Eh? I think you are thinking of the wrong timesheet.
                    Eh? I think you need some more valium.

Comment

Working...
                    X