• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Border chaos may mean shop shortages within weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Did France, Switzerland and Germany Brexit because they all have > 1hr waiting time on their borders?
    I knew some gammon head was going to say that when I posted the link for the first time
    Switzerland is not part of the EU neither of the 2nd level EEA only third level EFTA which means there are some border checks on lorries also note it's 30 - 60 minutes when these go red Dover Calais goes amber at 2 hours

Comment

So Big Daves week goes from bad to... - Templar European Logistics | Facebook

This is the reality now, but yeah sure, absolutely great and wouldn't have it any other way. Ffs.

Comment

What kind of food shortages are we talking about here?

Brie, gruyere, chorizo...?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          What kind of food shortages are we talking about here?

Brie, gruyere, chorizo...?
          Pretty much. The good stuff.

Oh, that & all the fruit & veg.

Comment

No problems here, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, no shortages at all, even stacks of toilet paper in the shops...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              I knew some gammon head was going to say that when I posted the link for the first time
              Switzerland is not part of the EU neither of the 2nd level EEA only third level EFTA which means there are some border checks on lorries also note it's 30 - 60 minutes when these go red Dover Calais goes amber at 2 hours

The whiff of desperation..

But France & Germany are, so is Poland. They all were however red.

When I looked Dover was amber but no waiting time displayed.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                The whiff of desperation..

But France & Germany are, so is Poland. They all were however red.

When I looked Dover was amber but no waiting time displayed.
                If you had any geographical knowledge (I know gammons don't have it) you would see they were mostly with the Borders between FR and CH and DE and CH

If you zoom in on Dover you can see there is first a waiting time at Ashford at the Farage Lorry Park of 4 hours and then up to 3 hours in Dover for the ferry
                As for Poland, Belarus is still not in the EU

Comment

No need to worry about shortages anymore, apparently the UK will just let lorries come in without checks:

HMRC chief: loosening of customs checks on trucks to cost UK GBP800m in 2021 - Trans.INFO

Bit of a kick in the teeth in regards to tax charges, but they can tax contractors more to make it even

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                    No need to worry about shortages anymore, apparently the UK will just let lorries come in without checks:

HMRC chief: loosening of customs checks on trucks to cost UK GBP800m in 2021 - Trans.INFO

Bit of a kick in the teeth in regards to tax charges, but they can tax contractors more to make it even

However, Harra also said that the UK will able to obtain £300m in extra VAT as HMRC can “tighten up on the payment of the VAT by online marketplaces, for example like eBay and Amazon.”

so £500M?

The £800m being an estimate?

So far just around 5% of the trucks have been held back due to issues with paperwork or covid tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      If you had any geographical knowledge (I know gammons don't have it) you would see they were mostly with the Borders between FR and CH and DE and CH

If you zoom in on Dover you can see there is first a waiting time at Ashford at the Farage Lorry Park of 4 hours and then up to 3 hours in Dover for the ferry
                      As for Poland, Belarus is still not in the EU
                      Strange the blobs are on French / German border. Maybe Switzerland invaded them?

The three hours is an end to end, no waiting time.

Comment

Working...
                      X