• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I thought Labour said they would agree to a GE once A50 had been extended?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Labour said they would agree to a GE once A50 had been extended?

Have they moved the goal posts (yet again!) ?

General election: Labour fury as 'sell out' Lib Dems offer to help Boris Johnson secure pre-Christmas poll | The Independent
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

If I remember correctly, Labour said they would agree to a general election once no deal had been 100% ruled out.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      If I remember correctly, Labour said they would agree to a general election once no deal had been 100% ruled out.
      Well, that's never going to happen.

Also, they probably can't stop a GE now that the LibDems and SNP have come out in favour because an amendment can be tabled to the FTPA requiring a simple majority rather than the two thirds.

Labour are in danger of looking ridiculous over this. (Or should I say even more ridiculous? They've been a joke since they elected that Corbyn.)
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        Which is almost impossible to legislate, since it is a negotiation with 27 third-parties, any one of which could force 'no-deal' if they wanted to. A re-hash of the Benn Act is about the closest Parliament can get, but there's no guarantee a further extension would be granted. Especially if it turns out to be an infinite number of extensions.
        Of course, an infinite number of monkeys might be able to solve the problem, with sufficient typewriters...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Which is almost impossible to legislate, since it is a negotiation with 27 third-parties, any one of which could force 'no-deal' if they wanted to. A re-hash of the Benn Act is about the closest Parliament can get, but there's no guarantee a further extension would be granted. Especially if it turns out to be an infinite number of extensions.
          Of course, an infinite number of monkeys might be able to solve the problem, with sufficient typewriters...
          Unless the Tories lose the election...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            If the polls are to be believed, it's much more likely the Tories will win and possibly with a working majority.

Not sure I agree with this analysis entirely, especially "the Brexit Party becalmed", but I can see why Boris might fancy his chances.

What is Jo Swinson playing at giving Boris Johnson his snap election? | The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              If the polls are to be believed, it's much more likely the Tories will win and possibly with a working majority.

Not sure I agree with this entirely, especially the "Brexit Party becalmed", but I can see why Boris would fancy his chances.

What is Jo Swinson playing at giving Boris Johnson his snap election? | The Independent
              Boris will portray it as people vs parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Boris will portray it as people vs parliament.
                I think Nige might trump him with the anti-establishment card.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  To whom? If they fail to get a majority, it will have meant the BP has enough seats to talk about a potential coalition.
                  Labour are going to get hammered outside the major cities, and whilst the LibUnDems will pick up plenty, I still see the Tories as the biggest party, with or without an outright majority.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    To whom? If they fail to get a majority, it will have meant the BP has enough seats to talk about a potential coalition.
                    Labour are going to get hammered outside the major cities, and whilst the LibUnDems will pick up plenty, I still see the Tories as the biggest party, with or without an outright majority.
                    I think Labour could win a GE with Sir Keir Starmer at the helm...
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X