• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We are good to go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are good to go

So what does a No Deal Brexit really mean? | Daily Mail Online

After two years of preparations, Eurotunnel declared itself ready for a no-deal in March. It has spent £13m on new infrastructure, including passport controls and additional border inspection posts in Calais.
    Bosses at Calais have insisted that a no-deal will not create delays. A demarcated holding area has been created for lorry drivers who do not have the right paperwork in order not to slow down transit times.

France is also recruiting 700 customs officials by 2020 for Calais, Dunkirk, Le Harve and the Channel Tunnel.
    Ministers have pledged to open up to ten ‘freeports’ - Singapore-style low-tax, tariff free economic zones - to boost jobs.

Companies would be allowed to store products, or manufacture goods, within the zones without having to pay duty before exporting them elsewhere.

Boris Johnson says such freeports could transform ‘left-behind areas’. Teesport and the port of the Tyne in the North East, London Gateway in Essex, and Milford Haven, in Pembrokeshire, Wales, are all said to be interested.
    The Office of Budget Responsibility predicts that a no-deal would result in a 10% drop in house prices between the start of 2019 and mid-2021.
    etc etc

All good, cheaper housing saving people billions, trade will flow, economy boosted.

As predicted by those here, no deal will slingshot the UK to the top economy in the World.

Cheaper houses also means lots of people in negative equity, remember what happened in Ireland after the financial crisis? And who will bail the UK out? Certainly not Ireland or the EU so let's see if the US will

Comment

I really want to believe your last comment was sarcasm...

How a drastic drop in house cost/value is a boost to the economy!? One of the parameters of a bank stress test is a sudden drop in house value, but for you this means a boost to the economy!? You must be a visionary...

Tariff free zones!? I thought the other countries will have to agree it first! I mean UK is free to open its borders and to not charge any tax on imports, just can't expect the same from other countries, specially from the EU!!! So don't see how this can be a boost to British economy either...
      "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        trade will flow
        To free ports, this is going to be great for public finances

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
          I really want to believe your last comment was sarcasm...

How a drastic drop in house cost/value is a boost to the economy!? One of the parameters of a bank stress test is a sudden drop in house value, but for you this means a boost to the economy!? You must be a visionary...
          DimPrawn believes that low yield government bonds are indicative of a poor economy, so I'm afraid you'll find it's not sarcasm. (Hey, Turkish bond rates are up to 30%. Their economy must be awesome!).

What was that quote from the Big Short, when they shorted the housing market (i.e. bet that house prices would drop). "You're shorting the US economy".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If UK housing was not so outrageously expensive the vote to leave with no deal could have been avoided.

It would provide a huge boost to younger people who see no point in working.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              If UK housing was not so outrageously expensive the vote to leave with no deal could have been avoided.
              there was a vote to leave with no deal?
              I must have missed that

Comment

We are going
                Heaven knows where we are going
                We know we're there
                We are going
                Heaven knows where we are going
                We know we're there
                We will get there
                Heaven knows how we will get there
                We know we will

It will be hard we know
                And the road will be muddy and rough
                But we'll get there
                Heaven knows how we will get there
                We know we will

Woyaya
                Woyaya
                Woyaya

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

boom !

bring it on

Boris Johnson’s donor Crispin Odey eyes Brexit jackpot with £300m bet against British firms

fill your boots

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X