• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biggest ad campaign since WW2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    But there is only a 1 in a million chance of a No Deal, so why spend money on it? Is it an elaborate bluff to convince the EU that it is much more likely than 1 in a million?
    Originally posted by Boris Johnson
    “It is absolutely vital that we prepare for a no-deal Brexit if we are going to get a deal,” he said. “But I don’t think that is where we are going to end up – I think it is a million-to-one against – but it is vital that we prepare.”
    The above should tell you all you need to know.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Point of order: the £100m is just for advertising.

To prepare effectively is going to cost a hell of a lot more than that.
      If you were to read my post again, you may find that I say "If the only way of leaving is without a deal and it costs £100s of millions to prepare effectively for that event then it is worth spending.".
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        The above should tell you all you need to know.
        Preparing for a 1 in a million chance is one thing, but spending £100,000,000 as mitigation against a 1 in a million chance is disproportionate.

So tell us Ziggy, do you think No Deal is about a 1 in a million probability?

Comment

Preparing for a 1 in a million chance is one thing, but spending £100,000,000 as mitigation against a 1 in a million chance is disproportionate.

Chances of you posting anything sensible are about one in a trillion.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Chances of you posting anything sensible are about one in a trillion.
            So still more likely than you avoiding divorce and/or bankruptcy in any three year period.

Comment

I've never made that assertion.

Comment

If you were to read my post again, you may find that I say "If the only way of leaving is without a deal and it costs £100s of millions to prepare effectively for that event then it is worth spending.".
                You’re still underselling it with “£100s of millions”, by at least an order of magnitude.

There’s £1.5b allocated in Whitehall alone. Add on the preparations required from thousands of private companies (my own Clientco is nearing £100m) and you’re looking at billions to prepare.

UK stands down 6,000 no-deal Brexit staff - after spending GBP1.5bn | Politics | The Guardian

For a 1-in-a-million chance, we were told only a few weeks ago.

(By the way, it’s not the only way of leaving.)

Comment

I've never made that assertion.
                  You quoted Johnson stating that, as your explanation for the expenditure.

Comment

You quoted Johnson stating that, as your explanation for the expenditure.
                    Originally posted by Boris Johnson
                    “It is absolutely vital that we prepare for a no-deal Brexit if we are going to get a deal,” he said. “But I don’t think that is where we are going to end up – I think it is a million-to-one against – but it is vital that we prepare.”
                    I quoted someone's opinion.

Do you recognise that Johnson was giving his opinion?

Comment

I quoted someone's opinion.

Do you recognise that Johnson was giving his opinion?
                      Of course it's his opinion Were you quoting an opinion that you agree with or one that you disagree with? To repeat the question that you dodged:

... do you think No Deal is about a 1 in a million probability?

Comment

Working...
                      X