• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minister for the Eighteenth Century

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    The real tragedy is that Mr. Rees-Mogg has an overinflated sense of his own portance, and that people lap it up due to the posh accent and frequent use of Latin.

Put simply, he doesn’t check his own work.

To what are you referring?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      To what are you referring?

I think Stygian here is suggesting that the article shouldn't be there probably because Latin doesn't have them, which is like saying we shouldn't use braincells because he doesn't have them.

As it seems to be optional he is for once nearly right. Next week he starts on tying shoelaces.

Does "Magna Carta" require an article? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Damn 36 minutes too late
        Merged.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I think Stygian here is suggesting that the article shouldn't be there probably because Latin doesn't have them, which is like saying we shouldn't use braincells because he doesn't have them.

As it seems to be optional he is for once nearly right. Next week he starts on tying shoelaces.

Does "Magna Carta" require an article? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
          From your very own link, seeing as you appear to be unable to read what you post:

Since "Magna Carta" is a Latin name and Latin would not need the use of an article then it is technically improper to use the definite article with it.
          To put this into further context for you, as the subject in question (JRM] is the Latin speaker, I would expect him to know how to speak Latin “properly”.

Therefore, he does not check his own work.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            From your very own link, seeing as you appear to be unable to read what you post:

To put this into further context for you, as the subject in question (JRM] is the Latin speaker, I would expect him to know how to speak Latin “properly”.

Therefore, he does not check his own work.

yeah that is one opinion in a discussion which concludes 'it depends' as it clearly says its a convention not a rule, so its like your opinion as usual worthless.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              It's thinking time. Two spaces is just enough to remember what I intended to say next.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                It's thinking time. Two spaces is just enough to remember what I intended to say next.
                FTFY

Comment

Minister for the Eighteenth Century

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  yeah that is one opinion in a discussion which concludes 'it depends' as it clearly says its a convention not a rule, so its like your opinion as usual worthless.
                  Only a Brexiter could take a discussion that confirms a position as being “technically improper” and conclude that “it depends”.

There’s a difference between being technically correct or not. For the vast majority of us, the difference is immaterial, and “it depends” is a valid position to take, simply because we don’t care. For someone that positions himself as a Latin speaker and send out directives to his staff to be correct in what they do and to “check their work”, then technically improper is the wrong sort of proper.

What you’re doing is ascribing your lack of detail and your lack of brainpower to someone (JRM) that should be aspiring to a higher standard.

So unless you’re an animal doctor that used to do marathons, you’ll forgive me if I don’t take advice on whether or not “it depends” from someone that can’t even spell his username correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    To be fair Victorian age was pretty good
                    Really? Almost everyone lived in total poverty.

Talking of JRM, is bellend hypenated or not?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Really? Almost everyone lived in total poverty.

Talking of JRM, is bellend hypenated or not?
                      It was good for the rich though

Comment

Working...
                      X