• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raab gone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Parliament will stop No Deal.
    Your faith in those 650 people is touching. I trust them for nothing.

Parliament will do whatever its members decide is in their best interest. Even Grieve admitted he's out of ideas. The only way they'll stop No Deal is to rescind Article 50 (they won't) or pass a vote of no confidence. The latter might happen but I don't consider it likely.

If there is a vote of no confidence there will be a General Election and Boris will run on a No Deal platform and agree an Electoral Pact with Farage. And they will win because the Lib Dums, the Greens, and Labour will divide the Remain vote in enough constituencies that they'll win a majority. And we'll then have a WTO Brexit under a BoJo/Nigel coalition of chaos that won't be able to govern anything even with their big majority. And there will probably be another election not long after Brexit happens.

That's what I think will happen if a no-confidence vote passes. And I suspect people like Kenneth Clarke know it is the most likely outcome, and so will be slow to vote no-confidence -- so I'm just not so sure there will be such a no-confidence vote.

I certainly would expect MPs to pass something requiring BoJo to ask for an extension. And he'll send Raab off to Brussels to ask for it and the answer will be no, and so we'll have No Deal. But I don't think that passel of self-serving cowards in Westminster has the courage to do anything that would really block No Deal if a PM is determined to Brexit and the EU is determined not to move. They'll make all the noises about blocking it but they won't risk their lovely seats in Westminster for it. I could be wrong. But I do have some money down to mitigate my losses if we get No Deal because I still expect that to happen.

Comment

Lots of "no deal" bravado in the Brexit community. It reminds me of the aftermath of June 2016.

June 2016 seems such a longtime ago.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Parliament will stop No Deal.
        I agree. I just wish they would stop being dishonest and tell the UK we are staying in the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I agree. I just wish they would stop being dishonest and tell the UK we are staying in the EU.
          no it doesn't work like that, you have to let them try and wear themselves out.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            no it doesn't work like that, you have to let them try and wear themselves out.

Ah yes. Negotiation.

The art of letting the other side have your way.....

Comment

Total tossers, no wonder Brexit is the cluster**** it is:

“That’s what politicians do"

Bob Stewart says he is not worried that Boris Johnson seems to say one thing to some MPs, and another thing to others

He says in some cases it “could be” lying – but politicians call it being “economical with the truth"
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Why on PMQs they don’t do it under oath like in court?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Why on PMQs they don’t do it under oath like in court?
                  They take an oath when they pick up their seat in parliament. It's worthless

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    It's more fun to keep the gammons hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      Your faith in those 650 people is touching. I trust them for nothing.

Parliament will do whatever its members decide is in their best interest. Even Grieve admitted he's out of ideas. The only way they'll stop No Deal is to rescind Article 50 (they won't) or pass a vote of no confidence. The latter might happen but I don't consider it likely.

If there is a vote of no confidence there will be a General Election and Boris will run on a No Deal platform and agree an Electoral Pact with Farage. And they will win because the Lib Dums, the Greens, and Labour will divide the Remain vote in enough constituencies that they'll win a majority. And we'll then have a WTO Brexit under a BoJo/Nigel coalition of chaos that won't be able to govern anything even with their big majority. And there will probably be another election not long after Brexit happens.

That's what I think will happen if a no-confidence vote passes. And I suspect people like Kenneth Clarke know it is the most likely outcome, and so will be slow to vote no-confidence -- so I'm just not so sure there will be such a no-confidence vote.

I certainly would expect MPs to pass something requiring BoJo to ask for an extension. And he'll send Raab off to Brussels to ask for it and the answer will be no, and so we'll have No Deal. But I don't think that passel of self-serving cowards in Westminster has the courage to do anything that would really block No Deal if a PM is determined to Brexit and the EU is determined not to move. They'll make all the noises about blocking it but they won't risk their lovely seats in Westminster for it. I could be wrong. But I do have some money down to mitigate my losses if we get No Deal because I still expect that to happen.
                      I seem to remember it was impossible to stop the UK leaving at the end of March. Ultimately parliament is sovereign. They will sort out a procedure if needed. It's more likely that Johnson will sell the ERG down the river.

Comment

Working...
                      X