• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Metropolitan elites telling us what to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Interesting thing is that England/the UK has been built (over centuries) on the backs of hard work of the white ruling and working classes so why would you not expect the ruling classes to be in the majority white?
    Majority? In the context of my original post, 100% is not representative. Where are the working classes represented in that list above? Women? State comps? Average Joes and Janes? Welsh/Scots/NI?

The fact that there are many other skin colours, races and creeds represented just shows how diverse the UK is and continues to be.

Where as a predominately black country is a bit slow in catching up.

Uganda elects first white politician | IOL News
    Distraction - “look over there, they’re just as bad”. I don’t care what Uganda does, it’s not my home.

So you’re happy for Old Etonians to continue to represent you and decide the direction of the country in backnroom deals?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Majority? In the context of my original post, 100% is not representative. Where are the working classes represented in that list above? Women? State comps? Average Joes and Janes? Welsh/Scots/NI?

Distraction - “look over there, they’re just as bad”. I don’t care what Uganda does, it’s not my home.

So you’re happy for Old Etonians to continue to represent you and decide the direction of the country in backnroom deals?
      They were democratically elected by their constituents at the last GE, and the Tory Party is currently party that forms the government of this country. The backroom deal as you put it are just politics, after all TM is meeting JC today for very similar discussions. It is perfectly acceptable for an organisation to get its 'story' straight within itself before going into discussions/meeting with other organisations on the same topic.

Or is it just that you have a problem with democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Where as a predominately black country is a bit slow in catching up.

Uganda elects first white politician | IOL News
        Whataboutery - not important to the discussion.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Identity politics is for losers screaming for a participation prize.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
            They were democratically elected by their constituents at the last GE, and the Tory Party is currently party that forms the government of this country. The backroom deal as you put it are just politics, after all TM is meeting JC today for very similar discussions. It is perfectly acceptable for an organisation to get its 'story' straight within itself before going into discussions/meeting with other organisations on the same topic.

Or is it just that you have a problem with democracy.
            Funny definition of democracy you have.

Was it a Cabinet meeting? That would have been democracy.

Johnson, JRM, etc are backbenchers, why were they even there? Sounds like you’re happy for money to pull the strings.

Comment

Funny definition of democracy you have.

Was it a Cabinet meeting? That would have been democracy.

Johnson, JRM, etc are backbenchers, why were they even there? Sounds like you’re happy for money to pull the strings.
              The cabinet will tow the government line (or they should resign their post). It is the back benchers that TM needs to get onside if she wants to get anything through parliament. Have you no idea how UK politics works?

Who knows why they were there? Perhaps they just went along for the tea and cake? Unless you have a copy of any formal meeting minutes that were taken that you would like to publish we will never know. In reality, JRM and Bojo have their view of brexit, with the WA unlikely to get through parliament the UK has to decide what type of brexit it wants. perhaps, just perhaps TM was trying to get a view on what the Leave camp might put forward as an option in the upcoming indicative votes. All sounds like normal politics to me.

Comment

The cabinet will tow the government line (or they should resign their post). It is the back benchers that TM needs to get onside if she wants to get anything through parliament. Have you no idea how UK politics works?
                “The cabinet will tow the government line”.

You do know that the Cabinet collectively sets the government’s direction?

It’s the backbenchers that tow the government (Cabinet) line.

Have you no idea how UK politics works?

Who knows why they were there? Perhaps they just went along for the tea and cake? Unless you have a copy of any formal meeting minutes that were taken that you would like to publish we will never know. In reality, JRM and Bojo have their view of brexit, with the WA unlikely to get through parliament the UK has to decide what type of brexit it wants. perhaps, just perhaps TM was trying to get a view on what the Leave camp might put forward as an option in the upcoming indicative votes. All sounds like normal politics to me.
                Cool. Sounds like you’re okay with the status quo of Old Etonians setting the direction for you plebs from the regions. At least you know your place.

Comment

You do know that the Cabinet collectively sets the government’s direction?

It’s the backbenchers that tow the government (Cabinet) line.

Have you no idea how UK politics works?

Cool. Sounds like you’re okay with the status quo of Old Etonians setting the direction for you plebs from the regions. At least you know your place.
                  I like every other registered voter in the UK had my chance at the last GE to select the individual in my constituency who I thought would best represent my views. Until there is another GE I will respect the result of that GE. Its call democracy, and whilst I might not agree with everything in current UK government policy I cannot do anything about it until I have an opportunity to democratically vote at the next GE.

PS

Cabinet ministers vote with the government regardless ( or lose their jobs a minitsers)

In the event of a 3 line whip back benchers are "encouraged" to vote with the government or they get their bottoms kicked, but still keep their jobs as MPs

Do you see the difference between being a cabinet minister and a back bencher now.

Comment

toe

Towing the line would involve moving it to another place. The government certainly don't want their backbenchers to move the line they set in place.

... and whilst I might not agree with everything in current UK government policy I cannot do anything about it until I have an opportunity to democratically vote at the next GE...
                    I've some good news for you. You're wrong. You can do something about it.

You can write to your MP and ministers.
                    You can find MPs who agree with you and ask them to support you
                    You can join your local favourite political party.
                    You can give evidence to parliamentary committees if you've something relevant to say.
                    You can organise protests - e.g. petitions, demonstrations, marches, facebook campaigns ()
                    You can start letter writing campaigns.
                    You can chain yourself to railings outside Downing street to publicise your cause
                    You can lecture in Hyde Park.
                    You can send money to people who are more active in your cause.

All of these things, and more, are legitimate ways of exercising your democratic freedom. In fact, not to get involved in some of these activities - even in a small way - over things that are important to you, is the real undemocratic behaviour.

There are illegitimate ways as well that can be quite effective. But probably best not to discuss those!

Cabinet decide government direction. If an individual member cannot agree with that, they must perforce resign. But to say they must follow government direction is silly. They are, to all intents and purposes, the government. You might as well say the PM must follow the PMs direction. True, but doesn't actually add any useful information.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I like every other registered voter in the UK had my chance at the last GE to select the individual in my constituency who I thought would best represent my views. Until there is another GE I will respect the result of that GE. Its call democracy, and whilst I might not agree with everything in current UK government policy I cannot do anything about it until I have an opportunity to democratically vote at the next GE.
                      Then why are you on this thread, if you don’t think you can do anything about it?

Personally, if I think that the people making decisions (not just those I voted for, but the ones that get selected through internal party politics to decision-making levels) don’t represent the people of the country then I say something.

You sound as meek as a lamb, accepting your role as pleb to your “betters”.

Comment

Working...
                      X