• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could the ERG collapse the Government to force no deal Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    If a sitting government loses a no confidence vote ( such a vote is a possibility should TM deal get voted down again next week) two week are set aside to form a new government. this wold leave no deal to happen by default on March 29th.

Interestingly, this strategy does require Labour MPs to vote for a no confidence motion in the house knowing full well that it would lead to no deal.

Whilst the ERG might not actually vote in favour of a no confidence vote they could abstain which if labour voted for would be enough.

All is fair in love and politics.

Very unlikely as the ERG haven't got the balls to bring down the government. And they certainly won't bring it down to force a GE, knowing the sh1tstorm a no-deal Brexit will cause. Imagine a GE during all the chaos of crashing out; the ERG and UKIP would be blamed and their candidates (along with the Tories) would be destroyed at the ballot box ensuring a Labour government (don't forget, 75% of Labour voters DO NOT want Brexit so 3/4 of the Labour vote is safe).

No, more likely is ERG support May's deal and short extension. The ERG will try to exert their influence during teh next stages of negotiations.

But then, anything could happen so it's still
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Very unlikely as the ERG haven't got the balls to bring down the government. And they certainly won't bring it down to force a GE, knowing the sh1tstorm a no-deal Brexit will cause. Imagine a GE during all the chaos of crashing out; the ERG and UKIP would be blamed and their candidates (along with the Tories) would be destroyed at the ballot box ensuring a Labour government (don't forget, 75% of Labour voters DO NOT want Brexit so 3/4 of the Labour vote is safe).

No, more likely is ERG support May's deal and short extension. The ERG will try to exert their influence during teh next stages of negotiations.

But then, anything could happen so it's still
      We are going to need more popcorn!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        We are going to need more popcorn!
        There, sir, we totally agree
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Bad news guys, the UK's best selling popcorn is owned by a German company.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Not a problem whilst we are still in the EU.

Better start stockpiling popcorn

Comment

Could the ERG collapse the Government to force no deal Brexit

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              My pack of Butterkist says that the address is Ashley-de-la-Zouch*

Sounds suspiciously French, even if it is in Leicestershire.

Interestingly, the two founders of KP Snacks started out as jam manufacturers....

*Yes, am aware that the owner is Intersnack
              Last edited by meridian; 15 March 2019, 11:23.

Comment

Working...
              X