• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Brexit Dividend!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Also what the fook does this mean

'Apologising for his comments, Councillor White said: "I wouldn't wish losing a job on anyone in real life, and I shouldn't have done it online.'
    It means that he wouldn't have said it to someone's face, so he shouldn't have been a keyboard warrior.

Advice that several here could take....

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      Brexit is very much a side issue in respect of what is happening in the car industry right now. It's all about Diesel and the failure of the car industry to respond and react or lobby to oil industry to produce biodiesel instead of oil based diesel.

I remember a time when you could run a diesel engine car on cooking oil and produce no harmful emissions, but the oil companies didn't like that because it meant they couldn't sell their oil so instead they convinced government and the automotive industry to go down the route of ever more complicated diesel engines which can no longer use biodiesel fuels.

The truth with respect to the Diesel engine need to be reported. The problem is not with the Diesel engine but with the diesel fuel and therefore with the oil companies. If we go back to a simpler diesel engine and start producing and selling biodiesel then jobs a good'un. Unfortunately the oil companies also own the retail outlets for automotive fuel and are therefore unlikely to want to sell a competitors product.
      Although I'm not up with the technical or political arguments about bio diesel, Mr. Diesel surely designed his engine to run on groundnut oil, which is clearly sustainable in the long term. It's not beyond the bounds of imagination to see large swathes of desert being irrigated to grow ground nuts.

However, the real fact of the matter is that nothing at all is done in this World unless someone profits from it. So as this commentator contends, the oil industry, and the Government have a vested interest in maintaining petro-chemical fuels. The oil industry for their profits and the Government for taxes.

The electric argument is already dead in the water, as it will be impossible to provide the charging infrastructure by the deadline that we have been given. The Government's stance is just a sop for the Greens in my opinion and time will show that the policy is unworkable within the desired timescales.

If HMG's policy were environmentally based, why tax a fully electric car like a Tesla so? This shows it's about taxation not environmental issues. The internal combustion engine is so endemic in our society that it will take many years to reduce our dependency on it. Are we to have electric buses, lorries, ships and planes? I think not. Trolley buses were active in Cardiff as late as 1970, but there are no plans to bring them back. The Mumbles railway was the oldest railway in the World when it was scrapped in 1960. Does Swansea council have any plans to re-instate it to reduce the congestion on the Mumbles road, not on your life. They are too pre-occupied with the barrage.

One report I read recently indicated that if the target were to provide a charging point for each private car, then about 4000 points per week should already be being installed. The industry can't even decide on a common connection plug and I understand that there are at least 6 different types already.

There are alternative fuel systems which could be viable and meet the standards that many want. LPG was popular some years ago because of its favourable taxation situation. However, I guess HMG quashed any ideas around using that fuel, which I believe is cleaner than both petrol and diesel. I guess any petroleum based gas would be cleaner than petrol and diesel.

So, in every debate, there are always issues that the protagonists wish to ignore or suppress if those issues counter their position. Sorry to be so cynical.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        Although I'm not up with the technical or political arguments about bio diesel, Mr. Diesel surely designed his engine to run on groundnut oil, which is clearly sustainable in the long term. It's not beyond the bounds of imagination to see large swathes of desert being irrigated to grow ground nuts.

However, the real fact of the matter is that nothing at all is done in this World unless someone profits from it. So as this commentator contends, the oil industry, and the Government have a vested interest in maintaining petro-chemical fuels. The oil industry for their profits and the Government for taxes.

The electric argument is already dead in the water, as it will be impossible to provide the charging infrastructure by the deadline that we have been given. The Government's stance is just a sop for the Greens in my opinion and time will show that the policy is unworkable within the desired timescales.

If HMG's policy were environmentally based, why tax a fully electric car like a Tesla so? This shows it's about taxation not environmental issues. The internal combustion engine is so endemic in our society that it will take many years to reduce our dependency on it. Are we to have electric buses, lorries, ships and planes? I think not. Trolley buses were active in Cardiff as late as 1970, but there are no plans to bring them back. The Mumbles railway was the oldest railway in the World when it was scrapped in 1960. Does Swansea council have any plans to re-instate it to reduce the congestion on the Mumbles road, not on your life. They are too pre-occupied with the barrage.

One report I read recently indicated that if the target were to provide a charging point for each private car, then about 4000 points per week should already be being installed. The industry can't even decide on a common connection plug and I understand that there are at least 6 different types already.

There are alternative fuel systems which could be viable and meet the standards that many want. LPG was popular some years ago because of its favourable taxation situation. However, I guess HMG quashed any ideas around using that fuel, which I believe is cleaner than both petrol and diesel. I guess any petroleum based gas would be cleaner than petrol and diesel.

So, in every debate, there are always issues that the protagonists wish to ignore or suppress if those issues counter their position. Sorry to be so cynical.
        Plus one from me.

It does annoy me when comentators/journalist label the Diesel engine as dirty and environmentally unfriendly when nothing could be further from the truth. Indeed Mr Diesel designed his engine to run on almost any fuel that will combust under pressure.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Plus one from me.

It does annoy me when comentators/journalist label the Diesel engine as dirty and environmentally unfriendly when nothing could be further from the truth. Indeed Mr Diesel designed his engine to run on almost any fuel that will combust under pressure.

"Indeed Mr Diesel designed his engine to run on almost any fuel that will combust under pressure"

yes, and so he did.

Comment

I remember a time when you could run a diesel engine car on cooking oil and produce no harmful emissions, but the oil companies didn't like that because it meant they couldn't sell their oil so instead they convinced government and the automotive industry to go down the route of ever more complicated diesel engines which can no longer use biodiesel fuels.
            Shows how little you know about car engines. Modern larger Diesel engines are capable of running on a varied quality of fuel better than their predecessors. The issue is the flexibility of the tiny engines that have come out in the last few years. A 1.5l diesel is a lot more fussy than a 3.0l one

The truth with respect to the Diesel engine need to be reported. The problem is not with the Diesel engine but with the diesel fuel and therefore with the oil companies. ... Unfortunately the oil companies also own the retail outlets for automotive fuel and are therefore unlikely to want to sell a competitors product.
            Shows how little you know about Diesel engines.
            What percentage of diesel globally is used in passenger cars, versus, say lorries, tanks, trains, ships, tractors, etc?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Shows how little you know about car engines. Modern larger Diesel engines are capable of running on a varied quality of fuel better than their predecessors. The issue is the flexibility of the tiny engines that have come out in the last few years. A 1.5l diesel is a lot more fussy than a 3.0l one

Shows how little you know about Diesel engines.
              What percentage of diesel globally is used in passenger cars, versus, say lorries, tanks, trains, ships, tractors, etc?
              So are you contradicting me and publicly stating that a modern diesel engine can run on 100% biodiesel with no long term issues?.

Whgy then do the diesel engine manufacurers state in their documentation that under no circumstances are you to use bio diesel.

Comment

The truth with respect to the Diesel engine need to be reported. .....
                Don't forget your tinfoil hat.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

First Brexit Dividend!

So are you contradicting me and publicly stating that a modern diesel engine can run on 100% biodiesel with no long term issues?.

Whgy then do the diesel engine manufacurers state in their documentation that under no circumstances are you to use bio diesel.
                  Did I say that? I think you’ll find you’ve added extra words in there to make your argument.

Larger Diesel engines can run on a variety of quality of fuel.
                  Did I say that all Diesel engines could be run all the time on 100% biodiesel with no long term issues? No, I certainly did not.
                  Did I define what standards should be used? No, I did not.
                  Did you mention what type of biodiesel you were talking about? No.
                  Did you know there are different types of biodiesel?

Did you know what a Diesel engine was originally designed to run on?
                  Do you know what % of Diesel fuel globally goes into cars?

And finally... can you provide a list of Diesel engine manufacturers who state that under no circumstances are you to use biodiesel in their engines.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Did I say that? I think you’ll find you’ve added extra words in there to make your argument.

Did I say that all Diesel engines could be run all the time on 100% biodiesel with no long term issues? No, I certainly did not.

And finally... can you provide a list of Diesel engine manufacturers who state that under no circumstances are you to use biodiesel in their engines.
                    PSA
                    I currently drive one of their diesel engined cars (<2years old) and the manual specifically excludes the use of 100% bio diesel.

Comment

Given your arguments above perhaps you could enlighten us all then as to why diesel engined cars are so publically seen and nasty unclean and something that is poisoning our environment.

Comment

Working...
                      X