• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mr Bercow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If anyone thinks Bercow overstepped the mark they should challenge them in the courts in the same way that May and Davis were by Gina Miller.

If they're right they'll win their case.

Oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Gosh, I'm unfamiliar with the mechanism through which the UK courts might rule on the internal procedures of the House of Commons in light of its "exclusive cognisance".
      So it's all legal then?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        So it's all legal then?
        Absolutely, perfectly in order. Nothing to see in that respect, and I'm not arguing to the contrary.

Simply against convention, and against expert advice, and illustrative of virtue signalling with no immediate, practical, effect, but with probable (significant) long-term effect on the partiality of the speaker (more akin to the U.S.).

Nothing more, nothing less.

HTH.

Comment

Absolutely, perfectly in order. Nothing to see in that respect, and I'm not arguing to the contrary.

Simply against convention, and against expert advice, and illustrative of virtue signalling with no immediate, practical, effect, but with probable (significant) long-term effect on the partiality of the speaker (more akin to the U.S.).

Nothing more, nothing less.

HTH.

So you don't like it not because it's wrong but because your side lost. That's parliamentary democracy in action.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

So you don't like it not because it's wrong but because your side lost. That's parliamentary democracy in action.

"My side."

You can take a horse to water...

Comment

"My side."

You can take a horse to water...

You appear to be virtue signalling.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

It seems totally undemocratic to prevent duly elected Representatives of the People from voting on whatever they deem appropriate.

Govt is supposed to command the Majority of the House.

Comment

You appear to be virtue signalling.

Or proffering expertise and correcting rudimentary mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    It seems totally undemocratic to prevent duly elected Representatives of the People from voting on whatever they deem appropriate.

Govt is supposed to command the Majority of the House.
                    You seem to be in favour of circumscribing the power of the Speaker to select amendments. I think that might disrupt the parliamentary schedule somewhat.

Comment

Or proffering expertise and correcting rudimentary mistakes.

well done that is very "virtuous" of you.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X