• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigration White Paper: Post-Brexit migration plans unveiled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immigration White Paper: Post-Brexit migration plans unveiled

A skills-based immigration system will be introduced to "get control over our borders" when free movement from the EU ends, the home secretary will announce.

It will focus on people's "talent and expertise... rather than where they come from", Sajid Javid will say later.

The system - to be phased in from 2021 - would scrap the cap on high-skilled workers like doctors and engineers.

A dispute between ministers over a proposed £30,000 minimum salary for visas has resulted in a compromise.
    Some members of cabinet were worried the set amount would limit the ability of businesses and services to recruit enough staff.

Immigration White Paper: Post-Brexit migration plans unveiled - BBC News

So moronic IT contractors (and permies) who voted for Brexit hoping it would reduce competition - how do you feel about it now?

“A skills-based immigration system will be introduced to "get control over our borders"”

UK had skills based immigration (Australian style) for at least 18 years, every fking 5 years each Govt touts “skills based immigration system” as if they discovered Holy Grail was hat nobody else got (apart from the French who got two)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      “A skills-based immigration system will be introduced to "get control over our borders"”

UK had skills based immigration (Australian style) for at least 18 years, every fking 5 years each Govt touts “skills based immigration system” as if they discovered Holy Grail was hat nobody else got (apart from the French who got two)
      No wonder they let any Tom, Dick or Harry in if they have 2 skill based immigration policies. Their Border control force obviously has no idea which one they should be implementing. But hey ho that's what happens when you elect a self centred knob as president, now the peasants are revolting, but let them eat cake.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        So moronic IT contractors (and permies) who voted for Brexit hoping it would reduce competition - how do you feel about it now?
        I suspect you'll get very few responses from them on this thread. Mrs May already referred to 'software developers from Delhi' in one of her speeches a few weeks ago.

If you are already competing with Bobs in the bodyshop consultancy you work for, expect it to get much worse.

Well done people!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor101101 View Post
          I suspect you'll get very few responses from them on this thread. Mrs May already referred to 'software developers from Delhi' in one of her speeches a few weeks ago.

If you are already competing with Bobs in the bodyshop consultancy you work for, expect it to get much worse.

Well done people!
          Are you not confident of your own skills or something?

I like competition, makes me strive to be better than I currently am, but then, that’s a concept probably foreign to remainers

As for the OP, he’s a founder/owner of a business, so it’s probably been a while since he’s had to compete in a labour market, so again, a foreign concept to him
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

I like competition, makes me strive to be better than I currently am, but then, that’s a concept probably foreign to remainers

As for the OP, he’s a founder/owner of a business, so it’s probably been a while since he’s had to compete in a labour market, so again, a foreign concept to him
            Good for you, but you’re missing the wider picture.

The competition will all be at the lower end of the scale, where bodyshops and consultancies can throw hundreds of cheap but “qualified” resources.

This depresses the entry point of the market, which discourages U.K. talent from taking STEM degrees. After all, why would you take on £20k in debt just to compete for entry level coding jobs?

What you’re left with is a hollowing out of U.K. IT, where entry level is blocked by consultancies free from Tier 2 restrictions, and management level is taken over by EU MBAs that earn well over the £30k limit.

Leaving all those juicy barista and cleaning jobs to be filled by Brits, just like the leavers wanted.

Comment

So what will happen is mass import of IT labour who will have 30kjobs, but most of that money will be clawed back through 2k per month room rent provided by the company to said workforce, obviously EU IT won’t be able to compete with that

Comment

“While that is their view … it is equally important to listen to business and find the right threshold. So we will be setting out today, we shall consult further on whether it is £30,000 or thereabouts.”

Javid rows back on plans for GBP30,000 salary threshold for migrants | UK news | The Guardian

LOL - so it will be even lower, no cap on visas

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

If you think that contractors are chosen solely by skill level then you are deluded. I have seen so many non European contractors on fast track visas working for crap money and giving a crap service.

I will never forget a very good Polish contractor get the chop when a Nigerian arrived to replace him. The. Nigerian had the cheek to phone him a week later and asked how to do his job.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    Good for you, but you’re missing the wider picture.

The competition will all be at the lower end of the scale, where bodyshops and consultancies can throw hundreds of cheap but “qualified” resources.

This depresses the entry point of the market, which discourages U.K. talent from taking STEM degrees. After all, why would you take on £20k in debt just to compete for entry level coding jobs?

What you’re left with is a hollowing out of U.K. IT, where entry level is blocked by consultancies free from Tier 2 restrictions, and management level is taken over by EU MBAs that earn well over the £30k limit.

Leaving all those juicy barista and cleaning jobs to be filled by Brits, just like the leavers wanted.
                    Entry level jobs are not for contractors, they are for graduates.

Students learning STEM fields is a different story, that also needs addressing by UK govs, to promote them, as has already been mooted by many.

HTH BIDI
                    Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                    X