• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigration White Paper: Post-Brexit migration plans unveiled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    If you think that contractors are chosen solely by skill level then you are deluded. I have seen so many non European contractors on fast track visas working for crap money and giving a crap service.

I will never forget a very good Polish contractor get the chop when a Nigerian arrived to replace him. The. Nigerian had the cheek to phone him a week later and asked how to do his job.
    If you think contractors are chosen solely on price, then you are equally deluded.

Let’s ask a prominent business owner on the forum;

AtW: What factors do you take into account when hiring, is it just price, just skills, others, or a mix?
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      Entry level jobs are not for contractors, they are for graduates.

Students learning STEM fields is a different story, that also needs addressing by UK govs, to promote them, as has already been mooted by many.

HTH BIDI
      Yah, good one. All those people leaving Uni with no experience walking straight into contracting roles....

Comment

The thing is the rates will become what the markets can take.

Most businesses will quickly realise (as many already do) that sometimes getting in low paid staff does not always generate the expected benefits.

And so they will pay more to get the right combination of skill and qualities they want - and that has not changed for contractors for years and is the reason for the need to keep your skill set up to date.

As a business you simply need to see it as another threat and find a way to counter it.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Most businesses will quickly realise (as many already do) that sometimes getting in low paid staff does not always generate the expected benefits.

And so they will pay more to get the right combination of skill and qualities they want - and that has not changed for contractors for years and is the reason for the need to keep your skill set up to date.

As a business you simply need to see it as another threat and find a way to counter it.
          The larger (FTSE100) companies I work for neither know nor care what the low paid staff actually get. They sign the contract with Accenture, TCS, IBM, Wipro, etc to get a job done, for better or for worse.

The only benefit that they measure in terms of resourcing is whether the project is delivered on time for the budget provided.

Which is nice for experienced contractors as we come in and hoover up the mistakes, but it’s not going to stop the bodyshops.

Which is why I am contending that if it is difficult now against those outfits, it will be even more so in the future if “IT” is designated as an open-visa skill and the floodgates are opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            If you think contractors are chosen solely on price, then you are equally deluded.

Let’s ask a prominent business owner on the forum;

AtW: What factors do you take into account when hiring, is it just price, just skills, others, or a mix?
            We invest into training people

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              We invest into training people
              You rip the piss out of a country that gave you shelter and opportunity. Maybe you should **** off to Berlin.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                With this kind of immigration, that'll be very low rates then.

You (and I) wish! I'm afraid my experience is that one a business reaches a particular size, quality can go **** itself.

Anyway, now we know what taking control of our borders and immigration means. Giving businesses to power to recruit skilled talent worldwide, rather than just the EU.

Makes me glad to live in a country where citizens and residents come first, then EU, then 3rd countries.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  You rip the piss out of a country that gave you shelter and opportunity. Maybe you should **** off to Berlin.
                  I am investing into this country 7 digit amount every year.

Comment

Every contract that I see advertised in my SAP market usually states ASAP, which normally means Monday morning.
                    I doubt whether you will see the term ASAYVA.(As soon as your visa arrives)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      We invest in training people
                      FTFY

Seriously though, are you trying to say you hire the cheapest (without the skills), then train them up?

I.e. you wouldn’t use bodyshop workers...or contractors
                      Originally posted by Old Greg
                      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X