• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theresa survives - badly wounded though

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You are missing the point - they people of the Uk voted to leave.

All those who opposed it have all had their chance to say how much of a bad idea that was, to call all the people who voted Brexit cretins and to throw their toys out of the pram - which they have all done.

However they have had that chance, they have had their say, and we all said ok well thanks for the input - however now they need to shut up and do the best they can for the UK population.
    1 Why should people shut up in a free society?
    2 What if the best they can do for the UK population is to argue to remain in the EU, or to join EFTA and remain in the EEA.

Comment

No deal leavers are a minority and therefore should be legitimately ignored.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Every faction is a minority. There probably needs to be a single transferrable vote in a second referendum, unless parliament can work this through in a similar manner. Either way it would probably land on EFTA / EEA.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          You are missing the point - they people of the Uk voted to leave.

All those who opposed it have all had their chance to say how much of a bad idea that was, to call all the people who voted Brexit cretins and to throw their toys out of the pram - which they have all done.

However they have had that chance, they have had their say, and we all said ok well thanks for the input - however now they need to shut up and do the best they can for the UK population.
          Maybe I'm missing the point as you're not explaining who 'they' are.

I don't think any MPs are throwing their toys out the pram, except for the ERG who are cretins who are only in it for their own personal gain.

Labour are doing what the opposition always do - they oppose! It's their job. This could have been avoided if the Tories had put together a cross party Brexit group but they didn't.

Who are 'they' that had a chance to have their say? What do you mean by "do the best they can for the UK population?".

If you mean the May deal is the best and MPs should vote it through, as I say, I would agree. Problem is, during the last GE the UK people voted in to the commons majority remain MPs to represent them. These MPs are therefore never going to vote through a no deal scenario. If the UK people wanted a crash out style leave, they should have voted UKIP - the UKIP vote collapsed in the GE so clearly the UK people did not want a no deal WTO Brexit.

Ergo, democracy has given us a 'leave' direction, to be negotiated by a Tory government. The Tories have obtained a leave deal. I don't get why Brexiters therefore don't accept this as this is the will of the people. You won, you have a leave deal, enjoy your victory.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

and whilst we are at it we (the 'royal' we) can apply the same rules to any minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              Isn't that what democracy is about. You give people the available choices on how to leave the EU. Present the arguments for both, and let them vote.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
              Sure. Show me where in the Leave campaign that it was laid out clearly just how we would leave the EU; that leave meant No Deal. Ironically, it was presented that way by the Remain campaign but dismissed as "Project Fear".

I can show you plenty of positive rhetoric from the Leave campaign (easiest deal in history, would be mad to leave the single market, they need us more than we need them, etc). Show us anything from the Leave campaign pre-referendum that is in the slightest bit honest about any negative consequences of leaving.

Is that what democracy is about? Only golden promises to secure a vote, and then damn the consequences later?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                and whilst we are at it we (the 'royal' we) can apply the same rules to any minority.
                Your immediate concern should be that the second reading of the Mental Capacity (Amendment) Bill is scheduled for Tuesday in the Lords.

Comment

If they are less than 48% then surely we should treat them as traitors and saboteurs
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    If they are less than 48% then surely we should treat them as traitors and saboteurs
                    And enemies of the folk.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      Sure. Show me where in the Leave campaign that it was laid out clearly just how we would leave the EU; that leave meant No Deal. Ironically, it was presented that way by the Remain campaign but dismissed as "Project Fear".

I can show you plenty of positive rhetoric from the Leave campaign (easiest deal in history, would be mad to leave the single market, they need us more than we need them, etc). Show us anything from the Leave campaign pre-referendum that is in the slightest bit honest about any negative consequences of leaving.

Is that what democracy is about? Only golden promises to secure a vote, and then damn the consequences later?
                      Much negative rhetoric as also presented by the leave side. For Example, we were told by the then chancellor of the exchequer that there would be financial Armageddon the day after the referendum if we voted to leave. Didn't happen. Truth is, it was the worst campaign run ever by both side. Even now both sides are still not presenting the whole truth because no one actually knows what that truth is and they are only interesting in trying to make the other side look as bad as possible because they cannot talk up the positives of their own argument.

Why did I vote to leave? because in my opinion, and that is equally valid as the next man/woman/transgender person, I don't think we, the UK, get a particularly good deal out of the EU. I also believe that there is no point being a member of a club (The EU) and only ever standing in the doorway. Your voice will never be heard. If we want to be in the EU then we should be in, lock stock and Euro.

Comment

Working...
                      X