• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So here is how it plays out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Is it not fish?
    Yes, it's fish. But you do realise that the fish in Tesco has been cleaned, chopped up, frozen, packaged etc? It doesn't come out of the sea like that.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
      Yes, it's fish. But you do realise that the fish in Tesco has been cleaned, chopped up, frozen, packaged etc? It doesn't come out of the sea like that.
      So like you are saying that the total 'value' of the product is not the sale price of the raw material?

We might be getting somewhere here.

Comment

So like you are saying that the total 'value' of the product is not the sale price of the raw material?

Feck me you make mince look like Einstein.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

The total value of the product within the fishing industry is the catch plus processing. Once it leaves processing it leaves the fishing industry and enters the retail industry.

On the plus side: the catch that is sold outside of the U.K. is also counted.

I’m done here now, it’s as pointless as trying to explain calculus to a 3 year old.

Comment

This is priceless - I'm loving this thread
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The UK has the EU's third largest fishing quota, behind Denmark and Spain.
              Fishing quotas were divised in the 1970s in the run up to the Common Fisheries Policy.
              Alas, in the early 1970s, the UK fishermen were busy plundering the waters of Iceland rather than Britain, so we ended up with a lower quota than we should have done.
              (It is, of course, OK for British fishermen to steal other fish).

In keeping with British tradition, a 'quick buck' is more preferable and so many British fishermen sold their British fishing vessels and quotas to foreigners, which is why foreigners operate British fishing boats and fish their quotas. Perhaps the British fishermen shouldn't have done this?

In 2017, "11,700" fishermen were active in the UK, about 1 in 6 were part time.

In 2017, British vessels caught 724,000 tonnes of fish in the UK and elsewhere. (Remember, foreigners are in our water, but we're also in non-British water. 80% of fish caught by British vessels were in British water, 13% in EU27 water). Britain exported 460,000 tonnes of fish, and imported 705,000 tonnes.

(In comparison, Airbus employes 10,000 people to build wings in Chester and Bristol)

https://assets.publishing.service.go...stics_2017.pdf

The UK fishing fleet has huge EU quotas for catching fish outside of UK waters. For all their moaning, I suspect they don't really want to lose access to rEU waters.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                (In comparison, Airbus employes 10,000 people to build wings in Chester and Bristol)
                How much fish do they catch, and where?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Failure to understand maths, economics, commerce, and the english language, tells me that minestrone must be a leaver
                  Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
                    Failure to understand maths, economics, commerce, and the english language, tells me that minestrone must be a leaver
                    Given what he was posting yesterday, he must have been drunk!
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                      The UK has the EU's third largest fishing quota, behind Denmark and Spain.
                      Fishing quotas were divised in the 1970s in the run up to the Common Fisheries Policy.
                      Alas, in the early 1970s, the UK fishermen were busy plundering the waters of Iceland rather than Britain, so we ended up with a lower quota than we should have done.
                      (It is, of course, OK for British fishermen to steal other fish).

In keeping with British tradition, a 'quick buck' is more preferable and so many British fishermen sold their British fishing vessels and quotas to foreigners, which is why foreigners operate British fishing boats and fish their quotas. Perhaps the British fishermen shouldn't have done this?

In 2017, "11,700" fishermen were active in the UK, about 1 in 6 were part time.

In 2017, British vessels caught 724,000 tonnes of fish in the UK and elsewhere. (Remember, foreigners are in our water, but we're also in non-British water. 80% of fish caught by British vessels were in British water, 13% in EU27 water). Britain exported 460,000 tonnes of fish, and imported 705,000 tonnes.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...stics_2017.pdf

The UK fishing fleet has huge EU quotas for catching fish outside of UK waters. For all their moaning, I suspect they don't really want to lose access to rEU waters.
                      A lot of the reason for 'fishing' in Icelands waters was actually because they would be fishing outside of Icelands waters but when the weather turned bad they would need to run to an Icelandic port.

Iceland then bought in the 50 mile barrier - which then meant that the Icelandic ports were out of reach should the weather turn bad so it had quite an impact on fisherman - and their safety.

Comment

Working...
                      X