• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will of the People - End free movement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    For having free movement as a core, unshakeable principle. It's one of the main motivators FOR bRexit
    Your answer has nothing to do with how UK companies take on workers. All other countries with the exception of Greece and the UK have average wage increases over the past 10 years; they have better wages, better pensions, better holidays, better employment terms.
    In terms of intra-EU migration, the UK is firmly in the middle of the pack:

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...cache/1275.pdf

(Figure 5: Share of non-nationals in the resident population, page 10)

Of course it is
    No it isn't.

So get a 1-year visa or a work visa.
    They certainly can, but this wasn't your original question. You were asking why they should come here.

Skilled Brits can already move country. Reciprocity is all well and good when all countries involved are roughly equal. But I don't want to go and pick fruit in Poland.
    Good for you. Personally I work in IT and logistics, not fruit picking, and just in the past two years have spent several weeks at a time in Germany, Romania, Hungary, and Ireland.

However, when younger I worked in bars. My sister-in-law spent a year lounging on the beach in Greece. Brother spent a year putting handles on buckets in a factory in Germany. We were doing it for the fun of it, being young and reckless. It's not all about you.

Perhaps the reason there is such a shortage of Brits is because it's NMW for a very demanding job.
    Again, not the EU's fault. The NHS could put up care giver salaries, I guess, but the government (and the taxpayer) don't seem to want to pay for that.

Maybe we should be fixing the problem rather than just outsourcing it.
    I agree, we should be. A cynic would say that the UK wants to have it's cake and eat it - only accepting skilled migrants when their education and experience has been paid for by another country, but not putting funding into paying for UK-trained skills. Sounds a bit selfish to me.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Skilled Brits can already move country.
      This one I do find to be interesting.

Assuming that IT contractors are thought to be skilled, can you please tell me where, outside the EU, an average-age 35-year-old IT contractor on only a British passport can just "move country" to?

By "move country", I'm assuming you mean just turn up at the airport, enter the country, and start working, because that's what we're comparing reciprocity to.

Edit: Let's not even restrict it to just turning up and working. Which countries outside the EU can a 35-year-old IT contractor apply for a work visa in, with any hope of being successful?
      Last edited by meridian; 5 December 2018, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        You tried to make some kind of joke, didn't make sense.

Can't back out now.
        Didnt make sense to you, but that's kind of the point You just keep on plugging away.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          This one I do find to be interesting.

Assuming that IT contractors are thought to be skilled, can you please tell me where, outside the EU, an average-age 35-year-old IT contractor on only a British passport can just "move country" to?

By "move country", I'm assuming you mean just turn up at the airport, enter the country, and start working, because that's what we're comparing reciprocity to.

Edit: Let's not even restrict it to just turning up and working. Which countries outside the EU can a 35-year-old IT contractor apply for a work visa in, with any hope of being successful?
          I'm going to estimate there are not more than a couple of thousand 35 year old IT contractors in the UK. Going by this forum they are probably mostly sub 35 minute 5k weaklings who struggle realising 17 million is a majority in a UK referendum when the other side got 16 million.

Comment

I'm going to estimate there are not more than a couple of thousand 35 year old IT contractors in the UK. Going by this forum they are probably mostly sub 35 minute 5k weaklings who struggle realising 17 million is a majority in a UK referendum when the other side got 16 million.
            There’s at least one that can’t read the word “average”...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Didnt make sense to you, but that's kind of the point You just keep on plugging away.

If you could punctuate your sentences like an adult we might know exactly what you mean.

Comment

If you could punctuate your sentences like an adult we might know exactly what you mean.
                Did you not understand? I understood your post perfectly, despite your lack of correct punctuation.
                Last edited by Old Greg; 5 December 2018, 18:54.

Comment

Working...
                X