• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Carnage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    How 364 economists got it totally wrong - Telegraph

Among them a BoE governor.

If you pluck your brain cell out of your bottom, you might realize that all these predictions are just nonsense.

I don't like Farage. But he says "I have no idea how the economy will do under any scenario. I am only concerned about sovereignty". He has a point.....

So are you saying that the BoE should not be doing stress tests?

And have you read what they actually wrote in the letter to the Times, not the Telegraph interpretation of selected highlights missing out parts that maybe add a bit of sense, but contradict the opinion of the Telegraph?

Their determination was really put to the test, however, when 364 economists signed a letter to The Times stating that there was "no basis in economic theory or supporting evidence" for the policy that the Budget was seeking to implement, that it threatened Britain's "social and political stability", and that an alternative course must be pursued.

Faculty of Economics and Politics, Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge
    28 March 1981

The following statement on economic policy has been signed by 364 university economists in Britain, whose names are given on the attached list:
    ‘We, who are all present or retired members of the economics staffs of British universities, are convinced that:
    a) there is no basis in economic theory or supporting evidence for the government’s belief that by deflating demand they will bring inflation permanently under control and thereby induce an automatic recovery in output and employment;
    b) present policies will deepen the depression, erode the industrial base of our economy and threaten its social and political stability;
    c) there are alternative policies; and

d) the time has come to reject monetarist policies and consider urgently which alternative offers the best hope of sustained economic recovery.’

So, based on their actual letter, how wrong were they?
    1. Did unemployment in the first 4 years of Thatcher's economic policy go down, or did it double to over 12 million?
    2. Did the UK owned industrial base get eroded away, so that most was either closed or sold off?
    3. Were there alternative policies?

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...and-warns.html

So based on the fact that Carnage is a clueless feckwit, please can we have the no deal Brexit NOW.

Would this be anything like Carney's forecast that a vote to Leave in 2016 would drive us into immediate recession? A Recession that never actually materialised. That Carney?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Would this be anything like Carney's forecast that a vote to Leave in 2016 would drive us into immediate recession? A Recession that never actually materialised. That Carney?

The Uk was just lucky there was a worldwide economic boom when the Brexit vote took place. The growth rate in the UK was ans till is amongst the lowest in the EU because of brexit, without brexit the economy would have been much larger then it is now

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          The Uk was just lucky
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            The stupid and old don't read the Guardian...
            Maybe not the old, but everyone I know who reads the Guardian is stupid. You'd have to be to believe all the guff they come out with, and yet they do. I was going to say millions do, but only 140,000 apparently

Mind you, just reading these figures is depressing enough, so many readers for so many dreadful rags.
            List of newspapers in the United Kingdom by circulation - Wikipedia

EDIT: Maybe the govt could launch a state newspaper, maybe call it "The Truth" or somesuch.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

EDIT: Maybe the govt could launch a state newspaper, maybe call it "The Truth" or somesuch.
              Which one would you like:

Read Children Stories,Articles,Poems,fun Stuff and much more

Truth Magazine Online — Conservative Christian Bible Study Materials

Which one is right?
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                wtf does that mean potato peeler?

Comment

Ducklike? Shouldn't that be Dicklike?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Maybe not the old, but everyone I know who reads the Guardian is stupid.
                  I guess I'm not the first person to point out the Guardian is a very balanced newspaper whereas you are nothing but a right wing bigot. Almost certainly you gambled the country's future, and now you are increasingly peeved that the Guardian classes are relentlessly stamping out the last few flickering flames of barmy Brexit self delusion. No doubt you'll stagger down to the polling station for Referendum II but you'll be wasting your time.

And you know it.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

How quickly people forget that immediately post-referendum there was a great dollop of QE and a drop in interest rates.
                    As the economy was growing at a reasonable lick then (2% p.a.) you'd expect such a stimulus to propel a rocket- fuelled expansion, all things being equal.
                    Instead it's well documented that the Uk fell to the lowest growth of the G8 - where it still sits.
                    And where it will sit for the long term, IMO, if any sort of Brexit is pursued.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                      I guess I'm not the first person to point out the Guardian is a very balanced newspaper whereas you are nothing but a right wing bigot. Almost certainly you gambled the country's future, and now you are increasingly peeved that the Guardian classes are relentlessly stamping out the last few flickering flames of barmy Brexit self delusion. No doubt you'll stagger down to the polling station for Referendum II but you'll be wasting your time.

And you know it.
                      You really are a very bitter saddo, one of the stand-out patronising smug "I'm cleverer than you" remainers on this forum. "Guardian classes" ? I mean, really?

I used to have the Guardian delivered, every day, on the basis that people said it's a balanced newspaper with good reporting. But after about a year I just couldn't take any more of the constant stream of left-wing biased bilge, the blinkered opinions masquerading as news, Polly Toynbee who's clearly a very clever lady and surely can't believe the tulipe that she writes, the self-righteousness from well-heeled lefty journos, the London-centric view of the world. I mean, Carole Cadwalladr? How can she be so wrong so often?

It appears I'm not alone in my experience of this newspaper, • The Guardian circulation in the UK 2003-2016 | Statistic

But it sounds like your sort of paper, I'm certain you'd like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X