• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russia to sabotage UK's re-entry into the WTO

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopper View Post
    We're replacing the undemocratic EU with the WTO, don't you know? Looking forward to those elections where we get to vote for the Director General of the WTO (currently held by the Brazilian bloke, Roberto Azevêdo. My my, when the Gammons realise there is an unelected forriner in charge of the WTO...)

I've always been sure that the problem with the EU is because there is democracy, people complain about the lack of it. If there wasn't an European Parliament that we voted in, we probably wouldn't give it a second thought. If Juncker was called the Director General of the European Commission rather than the President, if the ECJ was the European Dispute Resolution Gateway instead, then we'd probably be fine with it all.
    Absolutely, UK's membership of the EU being outside the Euro is not much different to NAFTA. Of course people will cry freedom of movement, but NAFTA guarantees freedom of movement for anyone with a professional qualification.

As Tony Blair said there was not one key decision from invading Iraq to increasing NHS spending where he had to ask Brussels. The EU "ties" the UK no differently to the way "hated NAFTA" or "hated WTO" ties the US, i.e. purely on trade. The Trump supporters have as much hatred for these institutions as the EU sceptics in the UK have of the EU.

If the UK does simply go to the WTO the Eurosceptics will simply become WTO, IMF and UN sceptics.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 25 October 2018, 10:30.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

One thing I noticed is how the Brexiteers held up Norway, Switzerland and Iceland as great examples to follow, and then after the referendum they got downgraded to vassal states.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Makes sense (even though it comes from the Express)
        After all Putin was an important factor behind Brexit as well
        I've heard it all now - if all else fails, blame Putin for Brexit.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

To be fair EU got a lot more rules than NAFTA like maximum budget deficits (was not enforced well thiugh), but rules like this are sensible rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            You must have been living in a cave if you haven't heard that before.

Putin is constantly trying to destabilize the EU, Brexit was one of the ways to do it.
            He is paying into extreme left and right wing organisations all over Europe, just remember how Farage adores Putin and how Corbyn refuses to condemn Russia over Salisbury
            Also remember Putin created refugee streams towards the EU by bombing civilians in Syria and then UKIP conveniently produced posters about it which they use in their campaign for brexit.

But yeah understandably this all hasn't reached the cave of Mordac and its inhabitant amoebas

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              That's right, a pro-brexit newspaper is blaming Putin for it all going horribly wrong.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                You must have been living in a cave if you haven't heard that before.

Putin is constantly trying to destabilize the EU, Brexit was one of the ways to do it.
                He is paying into extreme left and right wing organisations all over Europe, just remember how Farage adores Putin and how Corbyn refuses to condemn Russia over Salisbury
                Also remember Putin created refugee streams towards the EU by bombing civilians in Syria and then UKIP conveniently produced posters about it which they use in their campaign for brexit.

But yeah understandably this all hasn't reached the cave of Mordac and its inhabitant amoebas
                The only people blaming Putin are those who lost the real argument. In the absence of facts, just make some stuff up. Your little conspiracy theory is laughable. Picture the scene; Putin and Farage secretly planning the war in Syria, timing everything to coincide with the Referendum for maximum effect. Genius.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  We're replacing the undemocratic EU with the WTO, don't you know? Looking forward to those elections where we get to vote for the Director General of the WTO (currently held by the Brazilian bloke, Roberto Azevêdo. My my, when the Gammons realise there is an unelected forriner in charge of the WTO...)

I've always been sure that the problem with the EU is because there is democracy, people complain about the lack of it. If there wasn't an European Parliament that we voted in, we probably wouldn't give it a second thought. If Juncker was called the Director General of the European Commission rather than the President, if the ECJ was the European Dispute Resolution Gateway instead, then we'd probably be fine with it all.
                  The gammons would still burst a blood vessel over the metric system.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    They can still buy John Smith's by the pint.

WTO quotas are measured in the metric system. (but they don't understand the WTO is anything other than charging import duties, but in a couple of years time they're going to be hearing a lot about the WTO punishing the UK on the news. A no-deal Brexit could also mean the EU will be raising WTO disputes against us).
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      And lose several pints of blood?

Comment

Working...
                      X