• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit: DUP threatens to pull plug on Theresa May's government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit: DUP threatens to pull plug on Theresa May's government

The Democratic Unionist party has threatened to pull the plug on Theresa May’s government, warning it is not bluffing when it says it will not accept a border in the Irish Sea.

Nigel Dodds, the leader of the DUP in the House of Commons, said the party would vote against May if she returned from Brussels with a deal that involved new checks on goods coming into Northern Ireland from Britain.

“We will vote against it. We will vote for our red lines,” he told the Guardian.

The DUP leader, Arlene Foster, had earlier said the party’s confidence and supply arrangement with the Conservatives was “party to party” and not with May herself, while the European commission accused Westminster decision-makers of being “completely irresponsible” over Northern Ireland.

Dodds said the DUP was not afraid to take action if the prime minister betrayed the party by going back on her promise that Northern Ireland would not be left with different trading and customs arrangements from Britain.

“In Northern Ireland we’ve grown up with a lot of fears and issues that we’ve faced, frankly being afraid of what Theresa May may do is not one of my biggest fears,” he said.

After a presentation at a fringe event at the Tory party conference in Birmingham, he made clear the party was not intending to abandon its confidence and supply agreement but that it would not prop up a prime minister that left Northern Ireland “semi-detached” from the UK.

Brexit: DUP threatens to pull plug on Theresa May's government | Politics | The Guardian

Oh dear - supply without confidence!

that's Canada + out the window.

Only options left are
    - no deal
    - 2nd referendum
    - general election

what a tulipshow
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It will be no deal, closely followed by new General Election and then in the fullness of time - 2nd referendum on joining EU on new conditions: euro zone, Shengen, Euro Army, metric system, driving on the right side of the road, it's going to be fooking awesome, I - as a pro-European welcome it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        that's Canada + out the window.

Only options left are
        - no deal
        - 2nd referendum
        - general election

what a tulipshow
        Is Option 1 really an option though as it creates a border between the N and S Ireland, something both the UK and EU say they don't want, yet a no deal will force. I wonder who will get blamed for the border?

2nd ref pointless unless there is a clear remain. A leave will put us where we are today, so might as well go with no deal anyway.

GE, well that could be interesting. A majority by Labour might halt the stalemate (although fook knows what Brexit will look like, at least they will have the power to deliver it) but a Con majority still won't necessarily be a majority voting for the same Brexit as the Cons don't agree what they want between themselves.

As you say, what a tulipshow.

It's going to be a no deal, there will be a border of sorts in Ireland, the DUP and others will force a GE, the economy will crash, the poor will get poorer, the rich will get richer (looking forward to that ) and the idiots who keep voting for these self serving pricks will get what they deserve.

I just hope those that force a border in Ireland have good bodyguards, because if the troubles kick off again they are going to need them.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I just hope those that force a border in Ireland have good bodyguards, because if the troubles kick off again they are going to need them.
          Plan B: Amazon.com: knee cap protector
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X