• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Without any sense of irony

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    So what I’m getting from your answer, is that your only problem with the EU response is that they should have “roundly condemned” the Spanish state and police, rather than just condemning the violence?

That’s it? Just a statement, no further action?

That seems to be slightly different to what OPM was expecting. Which is okay, we all have different opinions of what the appropriate response should have been.

But we’re agreed then that apart from a strongly worded statement there is no other action that the EU could have done. Because Spain is a sovereign country.
    So you reckon that NOT condemning the police tactics (as I've quoted twice now) is somehow condemning the violence, that the police themselves perpetrated?
    That's an interesting interpretation of it

Au contraire, Article 7.
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      So you reckon that NOT condemning the police tactics (as I've quoted twice now) is somehow condemning the violence, that the police themselves perpetrated?
      That's an interesting interpretation of it
      No, I think that the statement condemning the violence is condemning the violence

Was the UK Government gagged? Boris Johnson is never shy to say something controversial, let's see what he said about it as the UK Government's official representative:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lice-crackdown

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “The referendum is a matter for the Spanish government and people. We want to see Spanish law and the Spanish constitution respected and the rule of law upheld.”
      https://www.independent.co.uk/boris-...-a7978081.html

The Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson refused to condemn widespread police violence against civilians as they sought to cast their votes in Catalonia's unsanctioned independence referendum yesterday.
      Other political non-government leaders such as Corbyn, Sturgeon, Cable went further and actually condemned the Spanish state, but the official UK Government position was only to condemn the violence (if that).

Au contraire, Article 7.
      How does Article 7 work?

The Article 7 process itself is a two-phased procedure.

First: A proposal to trigger Article 7 can be brought forward by the European Parliament, the European Commission or by one-third of member states.
      "The EU" is not some mythical central figurehead, it's made up of member states and their representatives.

What was the UK Government and UK MEP's position on that, and did they propose or support any proposal to trigger Article 7? (Hint: HMG's position is provided for you above).

If you're still upset about the official response to the violence, please write to your MP.

Comment

Proportionality....

During the London riots, some police were targeted by some rioters, therefore IF police had become heavy-handed with some of them, I'm pretty confident the silent majority would have said the little scrotes deserved some baton love.
        Is the “silent majority” saying that Ian Tomlinson deserved to be “baton loved” to death, “IF” that’s what happened?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The phrase shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind.
          Except this is one very stupid, fat, sluggish goldfish.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Is the “silent majority” saying that Ian Tomlinson deserved to be “baton loved” to death, “IF” that’s what happened?
            Of course not. What a thoroughly stupid question.

IF however, in a darkened London street, with your face covered and in the presence of other rioters during a riot, then you could well expect some reasonable force to be applied to yourself, to ensure no breach of the peace, and for you to disperse from the area - or do you disagree with that?
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

No, I think that the statement condemning the violence is condemning the violence

Was the UK Government gagged? Boris Johnson is never shy to say something controversial, let's see what he said about it as the UK Government's official representative:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lice-crackdown

https://www.independent.co.uk/boris-...-a7978081.html

Other political non-government leaders such as Corbyn, Sturgeon, Cable went further and actually condemned the Spanish state, but the official UK Government position was only to condemn the violence (if that).

"The EU" is not some mythical central figurehead, it's made up of member states and their representatives.

What was the UK Government and UK MEP's position on that, and did they propose or support any proposal to trigger Article 7? (Hint: HMG's position is provided for you above).

If you're still upset about the official response to the violence, please write to your MP.
              Brexit & Gibraltar ensured we would not give our normally loud & proud statements, would have though that was obvious...

The point of me referencing Article 7, is that no others initiated it either - which sort of goes a way to show what OPM was saying earlier, that the EU & its' members didn't really give a stuff about the Catalan people & their right to vote.

I'm not upset in the slightest - it's outside my sphere of control.
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Without any sense of irony

Brexit & Gibraltar ensured we would not give our normally loud & proud statements, would have though that was obvious...

The point of me referencing Article 7, is that no others initiated it either - which sort of goes a way to show what OPM was saying earlier, that the EU & its' members didn't really give a stuff about the Catalan people & their right to vote.

I'm not upset in the slightest - it's outside my sphere of control.
                Brexit and Gibraltar have never stopped Johnson from making a tit of all of us. Having a U.K. citizen in an Iranian jail didn’t stop him either. If he wanted to make a statement and condemn the Spanish government, he would have. I would have thought that was obvious.

“The EU and it’s members” includes us as well. So you’re agreeing that we didn’t give a stuff (and, officially through HMG, we don’t). That doesn’t mean that invoking A7 wasn’t discussed, it just means that the various heads of government didn’t consider that the one-off actions in a heated opinion poll warranted external disciplinary action. That’s democracy (and politics) for you, like it or not.

“Right to vote”? Prove that the referendum was legal, otherwise your statement in this context is nonsense. (Anyone has the right to conduct an opinion poll, but not to call it an official referendum).

Comment

Brexit & Gibraltar ensured we would not give our normally loud & proud statements, would have though that was obvious....
                  By the way, this is such a pathetic argument. What you are in effect saying is that the U.K. doesn’t give a stuff about the people of Catalan and would rather keep quiet in order to further it’s own economic interests.

That’s not the Britain I know, but it is the one that Brexit seems to have pushed certain people towards.

Comment

In June 2016, a majority of the British voting public voted for the country to LEAVE the EU.

That’s democracy (and politics) for you, like it or not.
                    Indeed..................
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      In June 2016, a majority of the British voting public voted for the country to LEAVE the EU.

Indeed..................
                      Then **** off...
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X