• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gammons outraged over last night of the proms betrayal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post
    DaveB stated "Taxation is the domain of individual countries"

The EU proposing rules on reporting, seems to impinge on that remit of the individual country.
    (Plus JcJ proposing QMV on foreign policy & taxation policy today )

Hence the questions...

You're saying taxation is sort of within the remit of the EU and I would agree with that, however as a result, that means the EU has been very slow to address this huge issue, which increases inequality for the citizens whilst ensuring big businesses profit - a point I was responding to WTFH about...
    No, I’m saying that providing a framework is within the remit of the EU. Actual taxation tends to be up to individual countries.

I can only think of import tariffs as an EU-wide “taxation”. All major taxes (income, VAT, excise) are set by member states. If you can think of other examples of taxes set centrally by the EU I’d be happy to hear them.

Does this mean inequality for the citizens? Perhaps, but that’s up to individual member states (mostly) to sort out.

The issue that the EU (of which we are currently a member) is trying to address (slowly) is the cross-border inequalities that business takes advantage of. By its nature it needs to be supranational for a common solution, and because member states have their own positions (and businesses have lobby groups) it will be a slow process.

Just to reiterate - by “within the remit of the EU”, what we are saying is “within the remit of the Commission to propose, and the Finance Ministers of every member state to agree and ratify”. There is no removal of the individual sovereignty of the member states.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      No, I’m saying that providing a framework is within the remit of the EU. Actual taxation tends to be up to individual countries.

I can only think of import tariffs as an EU-wide “taxation”. All major taxes (income, VAT, excise) are set by member states. If you can think of other examples of taxes set centrally by the EU I’d be happy to hear them.

Does this mean inequality for the citizens? Perhaps, but that’s up to individual member states (mostly) to sort out.

The issue that the EU (of which we are currently a member) is trying to address (slowly) is the cross-border inequalities that business takes advantage of. By its nature it needs to be supranational for a common solution, and because member states have their own positions (and businesses have lobby groups) it will be a slow process.

Just to reiterate - by “within the remit of the EU”, what we are saying is “within the remit of the Commission to propose, and the Finance Ministers of every member state to agree and ratify”. There is no removal of the individual sovereignty of the member states.
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...sh-brexit-news

It just shows that educated people voted remain.
        I switched to xfactor for a few minutes during that evening and saw all the gammons enjoy their low class entertainment, quickly switched back to the proms.
        No it doesn't. It just shows that some small minded losers still cling onto the EUSSR flag, which they have every right to do, but it will come as something of a shock when they wake up and realise they lost the argument...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          No it doesn't. It just shows that some small minded losers still cling onto the EUSSR flag, which they have every right to do, but it will come as something of a shock when they wake up and realise they lost the argument...
          You are really spectularly stupid on many levels, aren't you?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            You are really spectularly stupid on many levels, aren't you?
            Says the moron who can't work a spellchecker.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Says the moron who can't work a spellchecker.
              Idiocy is usually indicated by logical faux pas rather than typos.
              But you'd know that If you weren't a complete idiot.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

In your case, it's both.

HTH
                Originally posted by Old Greg
                I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

From one of the great minds of last century on how to use words well:

"never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent"
                  George Orwell in his 1946 essay Politics and the English Language – the journalist's unofficial bible.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/mi...age-long-words

So I'm going to go with "AssGuru is an arrogant feckwitt! George would be proud!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                    Some piffly waffle
                    Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Some waffly pish

At the end of the day, lads, I'm the one earning the big bucks and you're the little minnows bottom-feeding on the scraps the talented leave you.
                    T'was ever thus and will ever be thus.
                    Should have worked harder in school, if in fact turds can be polished, which is doubtful.

HTH, BIDI, TSLITH
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

At the end of the day, lads, I'm the one earning the big bucks and you're the little minnows bottom-feeding on the scraps the talented leave you.
                      T'was ever thus and will ever be thus.
                      Should have worked harder in school, if in fact turds can be polished, which is doubtful.

HTH, BIDI, TSLITH
                      Found a picture of you!

Comment

Working...
                      X