• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hammond accused of reviving Project Fear by claiming hard Brexit would harm economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammond accused of reviving Project Fear by claiming hard Brexit would harm economy

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...esa-may-latest

You gotta laugh. Are those Brexiters parroting the slogan "Project Fear" arguing that Real brexit (aka hard Brexit) would have no consequences, whatsoever?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

That’ll be the remoaners “talking down the economy”.

If there are more Brexiters than Remainers, why don’t they just talk the economy back up again?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

You gotta laugh. Are those Brexiters parroting the slogan "Project Fear" arguing that Real brexit (aka hard Brexit) would have no consequences, whatsoever?
      You do have to laugh AssGuru neither understands Project Fear or Hard Brexit.

Project Fear (or as the NoBrainers like to say now "Project Reality") which was a disgraced attempt (none of the predictions came true, remoaners defer it until after departure) to convince people that even voting Brexit would bring the country to economic catastrophe.

Hard brexit is considered to be leaving without a negotiation of a transition and above WTO rules.

The economist has your back here, ask for help with the big words.

https://www.economist.com/buttonwood...ches-explained
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        You do have to laugh AssGuru neither understands Project Fear or Hard Brexit.

Project Fear (or as the NoBrainers like to say now "Project Reality") which was a disgraced attempt (none of the predictions came true, remoaners defer it until after departure) to convince people that even voting Brexit would bring the country to economic catastrophe.

Hard brexit is considered to be leaving without a negotiation of a transition and above WTO rules.

The economist has your back here, ask for help with the big words.

https://www.economist.com/buttonwood...ches-explained
        Even by your completely retarded standards this post makes no sense.

So let's simplify it.

Do you think a hard Brexit will have any effect on the British economy?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Not true.

“Hard” Brexit was always considered to be CETA or the equivalent - outside the EU and outside SM+CU but with a Withdrawal Agreement and a transition period.

Leaving without any Withdrawal Agreement and therefore without a transition period was (up until a few months ago) considered to be catastrophic and not even up for debate. The hard right have now purloined that to mean Hard Brexit because “catastrophic Brexit” doesn’t really have the same ring to it.

We will always be under WTO rules no matter whether we are remaining, soft, hard, or catastrophic. They are simply the trade facilitation rules that we have signed up to.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Not true.

“Hard” Brexit was always considered to be CETA or the equivalent - outside the EU and outside SM+CU but with a Withdrawal Agreement and a transition period.

Leaving without any Withdrawal Agreement and therefore without a transition period was (up until a few months ago) considered to be catastrophic and not even up for debate. The hard right have now purloined that to mean Hard Brexit because “catastrophic Brexit” doesn’t really have the same ring to it.

We will always be under WTO rules no matter whether we are remaining, soft, hard, or catastrophic. They are simply the trade facilitation rules that we have signed up to.
            You're not suggesting that vetran (sic) doesn't know what he's talking about are you? Shirley not
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

And for this one, we could debate all day about whether “none” of the predictions came true. We could equally debate all day about whether “any” of the Brexiters predictions have come true also.

Both sides held a disgraceful campaign, characterised by lies and deflections, and the media can be held responsible for much of the misinformation also.

However, we are where we are, Brexit won and is in charge. So, you’re the winner.

If none of the Remain predictions come true, then nobody is hurt. However, if the Brexit predictions don’t come true - of trade deals the very next day, EU citizen’s rights in the U.K. not affected, no downside only considerable upside, no jobs lost due to Brexit, etc and the results hurt me or my family, you are (partly) responsible.

Comment

Tory Scum is just preparing for increase in taxes to deal with inevitable increase in borrowing after Hard Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Tory Scum is just preparing for increase in taxes to deal with inevitable increase in borrowing after Hard Brexit.
                  Inevitable increase in borrowing? Traitor!
                  Post Brexit money will grow on trees and milk and honey will be produded by everyone's pet unicorn.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

There are two types of ultra Brexiters - there are the multi millionaire disaster capitalists, and then there are the followers (usually old people, in my experience) who think that said multi millionaire disaster capitalists speak for them.

Therefore if Jacob Rees-Mogg says Brexit will be great, it must definitely be true. Anyone who says otherwise is definitely scaremongering. Not a single one of those followers is able to explain *how* Brexit will be great. only that it will be, and when pushed the responses range from "we won, you lost, get over it", to "you're boring me now".

They're quite contradictory in that apparently life was easier before the common market, but the pain of Brexit will be worth it.

(OK, anyone who reads back will note that I voted Brexit, but have never been an Ultra. If given a second vote, I would reluctantly vote to remain, but not because I think the political union and supra-national government is a good thing, but because my god the ultra Brexiters are thick as mince and I really really don't relate to them).

Bizarrely, my German father-in-law (lived in the UK for 40 years or so) voted to leave. Apparently I'm a criminal because of how much I earn, and all those managers and bankers earning millions are all part of the problem (he thought I was underexaggerating it when I suggested that the number of people earning more than a million quid was 'a few thousand' and that the national lottery made more millionaires than the workforce).

Of course, if it all turns to tulip, his German passport will allow him freedom to work elsewhere in 27 other countries.

He didn't want to know that those millionaires basically employ people, pay tax and do good things, even if they are arseholes. And that most business owners are not even remotely millionaires. He also didn't want to know that leaving the EU badly would make some millionaires have even more millions.

Then there were these guys (not CUKers)

I would go back to a British passport tomorrow and licence
                    I tried to point out we already have British passports and driving licences. I added in some stuff about lack of recognition of UK driving licences if in the EU, but that's boring.

Then:

it will sort out nothing to worries about let's just get our country back
                    Not sure who we're getting out country back from?

well we are leaving and nobody will stop it has i said it will sort it self out
                    (At no point had I said we weren't leaving, and nor do I think Brexit should be stopped.)

Don’t know how old you are Ian but I would go back to that time tomorrow, life was much easier. Nothing wrong with us standing on our own making our own decisions. The EU elite all won’t to fill their own pockets they have no interest in us other than our money.
                    There has been a UKIP (yes, they still exist) thing going around detailing the pension pots of some pro-remain politicians such as Neil Kinnock, of course implying these are annual pensions rather than just pot sizes. And conveniently they omit Nigel Farage's own EU pension and his pockets stuffed from the EU.

So life was much easier then eh? I pushed him. How was life easier and how did the EU make it harder?

I can remember calling the doctors and seeing him the very same day or not waiting months to have an operation or driving down the road and hit road blocks every few mile. Grab an empty glass put it under the tap but your not allowed to turn it off and watch what happens. Move into your neighbours house without asking see how they feel. I’m now drinking my lovely British Ale so have a lovely evening.
                    Right, so now it is clear who we need to get our country back from, and it isn't the EU. We need to get it back from British politicians. And from these thick-as-mince cretins.

Apparently I don't get it, I agreed and explained that this is because nobody has yet given me any kind of actual reason for why leaving the EU will be good. The responses were then 'yawn yawn yawn'. Our future has been decided by people who simply aren't interested. If a Facebook meme said it, it must be true and we must be outraged, and we must leave the EU.

In reality, these morons aren't the people who will be hurt the most by a hard Brexit. They're already too thick.

Hammond is falling into the same trap that Osborne did. The great unwashed really don't give a rats ass about the economy. My Father In Law argued with me about the GBP to EUR exchange rate, he truly believed it had been stable throughout. I said it had collapsed by about 20% since the Brexit vote. He didn't agree with me.

Me: "But it went down from about 1.3 to about 1.1"
                    Him: "Yeah, a couple of points. Big deal. That's nothing like 20%"

And there you have it. Pro-leave politicians won the argument with the majority, because they don't care or understand for facts and figures. And the pro-leave politicians therefore use soundbites rather like "it will be great" rather than why it will be great.

The pro-remain side loses, because facts and figures are boooooring. Especially when all remain has to offer is 'life will be the same if we remain'.
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                    X