• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK rebuffed over Galileo sat-nav procurement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    So technically, if the EU stop us using their shiny new system, we've actually lost the square root of bugger all?
    Apart from the contracts, the systems, the R&D, the jobs and the money, yes, bugger all.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So technically, if the EU stop us using their shiny new system, we've actually lost the square root of bugger all?
      I don't think you have grasped what is being lost by the UK. You better stick to swapping the backup tapes.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Apart from the contracts, the systems, the R&D, the jobs and the money, yes, bugger all.
        Yes, but apart from contracts, systems, R&D, jobs and money, what did Galileo ever do for us ?
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I blame myself really for forgetting that some people are just a bit sloppy in their thought and language.
          I blame myself for forgetting that some people are becoming old and senile and are liable to forget aspects of their chosen degree, or perhaps misunderstood them originally.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            New job, not much to do for now. But you're right, interacting with morons isn't the smartest use of one's time
            Talking to oneself is indicative of several mental illnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Yes, but apart from contracts, systems, R&D, jobs and money, what did Galileo ever do for us ?
              ...It allows us to locate the nearest aqueduct, helps us find the nearest toilet, or directions along roads, where you can go to buy a hose, the nearest pharmacy, or school or hospital. Oh yeah, and finding a vineyard or a swimming pool. And if you get lost, you can find your way along streets...
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                ...It allows us to locate the nearest aqueduct, helps us find the nearest toilet, or directions along roads, where you can go to buy a hose, the nearest pharmacy, or school or hospital. Oh yeah, and finding a vineyard or a swimming pool. And if you get lost, you can find your way along streets...
                It would have been ideal for locating food banks and lorry parks.

Comment

Pedantically, no-one is using it at the moment so the really the EU are just saying the UK can't use it once it is available. In fact they're not even saying that as the UK can use it, they'll just be restricted in their use of it and will be treated like a 3rd party
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

One of the reasons that the EU went ahead with Galileo is that the current GPS is actually run by the US Department of Defense and they can restrict it or turn it off any time (which they have in fact done previously.) This way Europe, well EU countries, are no longer reliant on a system which could easily be stopped by a President who believes that everyone is out to get him. A ramping up of the trade war between Europe and the US could see a return of husbands and wives arguing over the latest AA guide...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      I blame myself for forgetting that some people are becoming old and senile and are liable to forget aspects of their chosen degree, or perhaps misunderstood them originally.
                      I did confirm with Mrs OG who did her post-doc in neurolinguistics at Cambridge.

Comment

Working...
                      X